Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,516   Online: 943

Would a light source with the following specs be suitable for Pt/Pd printing?

http://dafnwebpd.sylvania.com/os_fil...h=241&Desc=GRO

It is the Sylvania GroLux.

Thanks..... Annie.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Annie,

Briefly, it would not be suitable. Certainly, not optimal. This light would be far from ideal. Pt/Pd is most sensitive to wavelengths below 400nm, and this light radiates very little in that range. It might expose the the paper because of the spike at about 435nm, but I am almost certain that it would be much slower than other UV sources such as BL, BLB, SA, and AQUA tubes and 1000 watt HID commercial metal halide lamps, and/or platemakers like the NuArc 26-IK.

Annie, Do you have a copy of Dick Arentz's book? If you do, look at page 12 and you'll see that most of the spectrum here is not where you want it - If you don't have the book you should really get a copy and it will save you money in the long run by avoiding things that don't work right.

If you want to go a very cheap route, you could try a Sylvania Sunlamp. I started making Pt prints in the mid 70's using a sunlamp and some of the ones I made then and were accepted in juried shows are as good as the recent reprints using an Edwards light box. (I presume these sunlamps are still available. I haven't look recently - ) I put the bulb in a wire cage like holder with a clamp on the end which I got in a hardware store. I think workmen use them to work in dark areas....

Annie, I'm sorry. I just looked and it's not a Sylvania but a GE Sunlamp 275 watts. If you go that direction, get yourself some good uv goggles. They can be had for about $10 at places that supply tools etc.

Alright then I will get a proper light source... it was just the temptation of a case of free lights. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Annie,

FWIW I use super actinics which I bought from a place out in your neck of the woods: http://www.jlaquatics.com/

Cheers,
    Roger...

Roger, Thanks for the link... if the Pt printing doesn't work out I can get a guppy!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin