Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 748

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Anybody have any luck with unconventional surfaces such as parchment, papyrus paper, etc?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eston3 View Post
    Anybody have any luck with unconventional surfaces such as parchment, papyrus paper, etc?
    Get a pad of ClearPrint Vellum at an art store. It has a nice translucency, but holds up well to processing. I just used it for some Cyanotypes. It does wrinkle a bit from coating so you do need a reasonable contact frame or heavy glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also new to Van Dyke, but maybe a couple of days ahead of the originator of the thread. I was pleased to find how easy it was to coat the paper using a hake brush. I understand that the sizing and hardness of the paper are important in this sort of printing, and most texts seem to emphasize the importance of sizing porous art papers before they are used for this kind of printing. For learning, I have been using cheap Strathmore Drawing Paper, available in pads. It's hard enough to be used without sizing, and the results so far, while nothing worthy of exhibition, have been good. One disadvantage is that this paper is single weight and thus is a bit hard to handle when wet and may not dry flat. I routinely double coat the paper because that gives me much better consistency than single coating. I am anxious to hear any other tips you all have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin