Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shelf life of ferric oxalate

Just wondering what the shelf life of this stuff is. I've got some from B&S with my platinum/palladium kit a few weeks back but won't be making my first prints until middle to late Feb after a gracious demo off Paul Cafell. I've popped it in the fridge cause I read this apparently makes a difference. Any thoughts and experiences would be great. I've heared between 3 and 6 months.
    Last edited by Jarvman; 01-21-2009 at 09:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would say 6 to be safe but have made great prints from year old solution.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never tried this but, in her book "Alternative Processes Condensed", Christina Anderson says you can test FO by mixing a "pinch" of potassium Ferricyanide in 25ml of distilled water then add a drop of your FO. If the solution turns blue, it is bad. If it turns brown, it is ok.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Feb won't be a problem. I usually buy a couple 25ml bottles at a time and toss one in the fridge until I get around to needing it. Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers all. I've just looked on the site and it's really cheap so if needs be I can just buy another bottle of it further down the line. Don't want to rush through 30 odd prints just to use the stuff up!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Cheers all. I've just looked on the site and it's really cheap so if needs be I can just buy another bottle of it further down the line. Don't want to rush through 30 odd prints just to use the stuff up!
    Exactly -- and there is no reason to chance the expensive stuff (pt/pd) by saving a few bucks using old cheap stuff.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually ditch mine after a few months and make up fresh from formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FO is cheap. Silverprint is finally selling the stuff in the UK now (God bless 'em). My advice is to buy it in powder and, as Trevor suggests, make up a few months supply and replace it every 4-5 months. You could get away with longer, but in my experience, it's not worth the bother. Getting it into solution is no where near as painful as it's reputation predicts; in fact I have more problems getting the pd salts into solution (always end up filtering out metalic particles - still don't know why ??). A dash of EDTA helps, but that's a matter of personal choice.

Cheers

Geoff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin