Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,858   Online: 864

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    So I guess it would be safe to say that a press such as a heavy American French Tool Press floor model with 7 3/4" rollers would best serve the purpose? Of course with a press that heavy you could actually do the copper photogravure process also. Would the lighter table top American French Tool Press models provide enough pressure? Because they are thousands of dollars cheaper. Robert
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-27-2009 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an floor model etching press made in the 60's that weighs in at about 200 kilos and another that is portable, like this one. Either one will turn out a nice print, but the larger is more comfortable to use. Even more comfortable and predictable are the presses similar to the one you mention. There are lots of choices out there. Try to get access to a press at a local college or school and then make decisions as to what you want or need. To draw a photographic parallel, don't buy the ultra-large format Gandolfi before you've tried a 4x5. You might want it, you might not.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Whitey, We have a floor model etching press here at the college. I'll check the specs on it but I'm sure it will handle at least what your portable press can. I'm already set up for alt processes with a plate burner so the only other thing for the home studio would be a press. But the one at the college will do to tackle the learning curve. Has anyone compared the quality of the polymer photogravure to the copper photogravure process? Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone compared the quality of the polymer photogravure to the copper photogravure process?
    I haven't done any traditional gravure, but I'll say that I've seen lots of poly-gravure prints and they have never come to the level of perfection evident in the copper-plate gravure prints tipped into wonderfully expensive old hard-bound books. It may be possible, but I'll have to have it proved to me. I've never seen a poly-gravure print done by someone who has also mastered copper-plate gravure, of course. The craftsmanship is certainly a factor; it may even be the deciding factor, but I think not. The plate and the process do make a difference.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Whitey, As much as I love a platinum/palladium print, I must admit, a good copper photogravure is hard to beat and next in line would probably be a carbon print. Thanks for sharing the polymer photogravure process with us. Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just noticed this on the Center for Photography at Woodstock's site www.cpw.org

July 11-15 | Lothar Osterberg Photogravure in collaboration with Women's Studio Workshop.

Osterberg, IIRC used to post some gorgeous gravures on apug some time ago. When the CPW publishes the details of their catalog, I'll post here again. The workshops there are always worthwhile, although they're not as inexpensive as I wish they were.
    John Voss

My Blog

Anyone know where I can purchase photopolymer plates in the Vancouver Canada area? I can't seem to find anything on the internet. I used to do a lot of photogravures years ago and would like to get back into it using this method as it doesn't involve etching with acid. I still have access to an intaglio press.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Anyone know where I can purchase photopolymer plates in the Vancouver Canada area? I can't seem to find anything on the internet. I used to do a lot of photogravures years ago and would like to get back into it using this method as it doesn't involve etching with acid. I still have access to an intaglio press.
    Andrew:

Does this link help:

http://www.frasers.com/public/search...roductID=34068

I note that the linked information for Heidelberg Canada Graphic Equipment Ltd. shows a Richmond, BC office.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Boxcar Press for my plates. If all else fails, look up suppliers of letterpress supplies. These plates are made for the printing trade.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin