Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,449   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photogravure/Photo Polymer Gravure

I thought I would share a few snaps from a small New England gathering earlier today. Whitey demonstrated the photogravure process he's learned recently,and it was a real treat to see him walk through the process.

There are a lot of steps to, and I think when you see the results, in all their three dimensional glory, you'll see it's worth the effort.

He started with a negative he made in Europe (I forget where he said), then he made a positive on ortho film in the darkroom to about 8x10. Contact printed onto a light sensitive plate, inked it up as one would in etching, and put it through a press.

Very fun to see!! Hopefully, he'll chime in if you have any questions about the process.

A big thanks to Whitey!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gravure1.jpg   Gravure2.jpg   gravure5.jpg   gravure6.jpg   gravure7.jpg  

gravure8.jpg  

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting Suzanne and all credit to Whitey for learning a new process. I do like the detail in a well printed photogravure and I hope Whitey gets pleasure from making more prints. Will you try ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    well - it doesn't look like a photogravure to me.. rather the photo polymer gravure, (semantics?) which is a danish invention () from about 1989...

So it is still a very young technique.

HIGHLY addictive!! it is SO much fun, and the possibillities are greater than you might expect.

The only thing that makes me not do this all the time, is the cost of the polymer plates....

Alas.

it is not so difficult - you can get a printable plate in ca 1 hour, and it is toxic free..

A finn, Kari Holopainen, has a great description on the process..
    (But you can do this with far less sophisticated maschinery..)

Attached, an example of photo polymer gravure..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails polymer-charlotte.jpg   polymer 2.jpg  
    Last edited by gandolfi; 01-25-2009 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indeed, Emil, I don't know all the semantics, and you might be right. Whitey described the plates as "solar" plates, and since he's doing this process at a high school, I bet he's choosing a toxic free technique you describe. And yes... the plate took very little time. I'm trying to figure out which of my images would be well served by Whitey's process, because, yes... I think it would be fun to give it a go sometime.

Here are some links of interest...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogravure
    http://www.photogravure.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice, Thanks Suzanne. It does indeed look like photo polymer gravure, as Emil said. Still a very nice process vs the copper plate. The press would be the part one would really have to find space for to do this at home - though there may be work arounds for that. Haven't really looked hard at the process (because am afraid it would be something I would really want to try - )
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    Very nice, Thanks Suzanne. It does indeed look like photo polymer gravure, as Emil said. Still a very nice process vs the copper plate. The press would be the part one would really have to find space for to do this at home - though there may be work arounds for that. Haven't really looked hard at the process (because am afraid it would be something I would really want to try - )
    I changed the thread's title to be more clear, and Mike, I think this would be a more popular process if the press were easier to come by!

It's pretty straight forward... just a lot of steps!! So, yes... you'd probably want to try it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got back from Whitey's... it was a good day. Yes it is an easy process and looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if my work fits that look tho.
    Great to see Suzanne, Whitey, Lizz and Holly again... and to meet to meet Seawolf66 and John. Thanks to Whitey for being a great host.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    hmm
    First: I totally forgot to add a link to Holopainen's web page.. here it is:

http://personal.inet.fi/taide/kari.h...yyri/page1.htm

Secondly: This process seems to be easy, but it is actually really difficult to master!
    It doesn't take a lot of time to make the plate, but then....

It is a process, that requires a good photographer to make the optimal inter positive (which isn't as easy as it seems), and then it requires a really good graphic printer, in order to make a really good print...

Photographers tend to think that the printing isn't going to be that hard.. - the graphic printers think the same about the photographic part of the process..

Both will be wrong!!

(but it is still fun!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't disagree, Emil, and I didn't mean to say it looked easy to master... just straightforward enough to give it a go. And, I think, if the printing presses were as easily accessible as, say, an enlarger, it might be enjoyed by more people.

I mean... what is more fun than rolling a plate through a press!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rolling some squash through a press!!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin