Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,745   Online: 929

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Let's make a still, for water of course

Being the clever Neanderthall tool user that I am, I was thinking of distilling my own water for washing my VanDyke Prints. After googling the distilling process and then looking at the float system of a toliet I was thinking it would be very easy to build a continous or even a stop/start to fill a holding tank by combining the two technologies, and even using the toliet tank to do it. LOL. Has anyone tried something like this? C'mon guys give up your plans to us!
    Eston

Shooter
    Large Format
    And being the clever Neanderthall tool user, I would never consider buying a factory designed system, even if they were cheap enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rectifying still or pot still?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    distilliation is an easy enough process.

Boil water, have some way of catching the vapor, and have it go into a clean container. Ideally, you'd have some kind of coolant (fresh water, etc) running around the tube so the vapor condenses.

They make distillers pretty cheaply (a glass tube with a larger tube outside for a continuous supply of cold water), but I'd imagine you could use a pyrex or corningware pot on the stove along with a lid and a hose (inert plastic or glass piping) going to another pot off the heat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You want glass or is stainless good enough?

Filtered water will not work for you?
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK Bob, you got me. I know what a pot still is. I am from Georgia after all. But what do you mean by a Rectifying still? Googled it with no luck.

How much water do I need? Well I'm going to go with the 7 tray wash and that uses up quite a bit of water over time. Which is why I started looking into this. And, Kirk, I was told by numerous people that I should be mixing my alt. proc. chemicals and washing my prints in distilled water. I have to admit that I never worried about it with the standard silver based process. Is it really necessary? Good question.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This sounds like a terrible waste of energy. Have you ever tried distilling something? It doesn't go quickly. I would get an expensive filtration system before you consider distillation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Millipore has these 'water machines' that filter the water for you. I'm not sure how fast they go, and i'm sure the filters are expensive but.. I did luck onto some really really fine filters years ago, something like 2um.. like giant syringe filters. Perhaps with a vacuum.. ? *shrug*

Otherwise I agree, distillation consumes a lot of energy. They have those water stands around here. $0.25 a gallon, it's supposed to be pretty clean. Not sure about pure lab water but hey..

Shooter
    35mm
    My local Wal-Mart (Moulton, Alabama) sells distilled water for $0.68/gallon. The Wal-Mart down the road from the community college I go to sells it for about $0.75/gallon. I'm sure your local Wal-Mart (or any other chain grocery store) will sell it for about the same price. Maybe that's the way to go unless you're planning on using lots and lots of water.

I've never researched how to make a still, so I dont know ow hard it would be to make one. I would suggest just stocking up on distilled water from Wal-Mart. My color photography class stocked up on like $30 worth of it, and we had a good bit left over. In fact, I brought some home with me and used some of it to develop film in my bathroom. I still have two gallons left.

If you're set on building a still, I say go right ahead. It would actually save you from buying distilled water. If you plan on using lots of water, it might be worth the investment

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batch_distillation

Rectifying still is described here. Similar devices are "Fractional columns" - often used in crude oil refining and even in the largest liquor distilleries.

Oh and with a nice graphic:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/oil-refining4.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin