Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,606   Online: 810

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cyanotype blues

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rachelle, Are you exposing using the WINTER sun in Kamloops? It's not going to have much UV action. Try using an artificial UV source or wait for summer. alternativephotgraphy.com has lots of info on UV sources - including building your own.
    I use a tanning bed, no joke! I got it for $50 from a client who inherieted it from Grandma and had no use for it. I've now got 3 contact printers so I can mass produce. it just seemed too silly to get all that light going for one little 4x5 print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Rachel

If you are still having trouble obtaining the deeper blues you might want to try the Cyanotype II process created by Mike Ware, the solution is avaliable from Bostick and Sullivan. This coats watercolour paper well when using a glass rod and i have found you only need a single coat to get good results. Also after you have exposed the cyanotype to UV if you use a weak acid bath as your first wash this helps to maintain the deeper blues that you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned that the paper was Bergger COT-320 (don't know why I had to start with the most expensive paper! But there you go). I've tried scanning one of the attempts but the colour on the monitor is so completely different than the actual print, it's not worth showing (all attempts at fixing it with photoshop does nothing to get it remotely close to the original colour). In terms of contact frames, I'm using a custom built one by a guy (I can't remember his name at the moment) who comes highly recommended here on APUG.

Akki - I'm using your card you sent in the postcard exchange as an example of what I want to emulate. I'm not trying to copy it exactly, but I'm just trying to get the 'feeling' of it correct -- in the appropriate colour and coating. I have no watercolour experience whatsoever but I haven't been dipping the brush in the sensitizer -- just putting drops on paper and then brushing it on.

Vaughn - I'd love to try adding ammonium or potassium dichromate, but it's just not something I have in the cupboard at the moment.

Smieglitz - I'm using a variety of negatives to try it out -- my first exposure was over an hour long and the image still left a lot to be desired. Interestingly, double coating goes a lot faster (about a half hour) and I can see the colour shift almost immediately in the sun. I don't know if it's because of the winter sun, or the altitude, or latitute, but the times I have seem consistent with what I've read in other places (including Christopher James' book).

Larry - I'm still shaking my head! I'm not sure how you came up with that process but it's a little complicated for me at the moment.

Vaughn - I'll try adding photo-flo and see how that works in my next printing session (always a toss up due to limited days off a week -- Saturday -- and whether or not the sun wants to cooperate. No part of the image is washing off. I do let my papers dry after coating (naturally) for a few hours before I think to remember to recoat them again -- everything is kept in the dark except for when I'm coating.

John - it's funny, I stocked up on paper when I was in Vancouver and only recently discovered how much watercolour paper is available here in Kamloops! I guess it's just a matter of experimenting with papers until I find the right combination.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    :rolleyes:

What's wrong with the winter sun in Kamloops? I know it makes exposures longish, but I really don't have any other choice at the moment. I'm going crazy not being able to use my darkroom (a long story) and developing film is just not cutting it (I'm about halfway through the 40+ rolls I've fallen behind on).

I've been looking for tanning beds in the thrift shops, but so far haven't found anything. I've thought seriously of building my own lightbox, but right now lack of tools and know-how is preventing me from doing so (and finding proper UV bulbs locally). If I decide to get really serious about alt processes I will go down that route, but I have a very low tolerance to GAS and I've already bought so much stuff for all my other cameras I'm trying to really justify spending more money on another technique! I love it though...I've never been more inspired as a photographer (and frustrated!) as I have been over the past year and a half since I started experimenting with various techniques. I know I'll settle down eventually, it's just finding out what works best with what I want to achieve.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave -- I guess in retrospect I should have ordered the Mike Ware cyanotype solution as well.

In the meantime I think I'll try to focus more on systematic testing on the various papers I do have, (with some of the advice mentioned above) and see what kind of results I can get.
    Rachelle

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Rachelle, the COT 320 is a fine paper -- it is what I am using for my platinum/palladium prints. But I do get better results pre-treating the paper in a bath of 5% oxalic acid...which seems to indicate it does have a slightly alkaline sizing in it. This wetting and drying the print might also help with countering some of the sizing...just a guess. You might try soaking the paper in hot water for a few minutes, then drying it before your next printing session. Just another odd-ball thing to try. Of course if you had some Oxalic acid sitting around the house, you might try soaking it in that instead of plain water. Another strange thing you could try would be to pre-coat the paper with a dilute solution (2%) of citric acid (vitamin C from the local health food store) using the rod...let it dry, then coat with your cyanotype chemicals. I have no idea what would happen...but acidity does seem to help.

Perhaps your local chemist (do you call your pharmasists that in Canada?) has a little dichromate. All you need is about 5 grams in a liter or two of water.

Yours, Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Vaughn.

Our pharmacists are pharmacists (not chemists) - same as the States. I'll ask around and see if any of them have anything useful for me.
    Rachelle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Rachelle,
    You might be able to get a 'facial solarium' instead of a full-size tanning bed. Phillips make one that sells for about £50 new in the UK. It would also be a lot easier to store! I have one that I've used for photo/printmaking but not yet for cyanotype, however I believe it works fine. (I'm going to set mine up with my enlarger timer to make exposures more repeatable.)
    Hope you get lucky and find one cheap!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rachelle - Hm. Well for the postcards (and all my cyanotypes which are traditional formula and I'd say they are pretty close to cyanotypeII blues, sorry David and Dr. Ware ) I use a straw like a pipette. It can take a little practice to get a feel for how much sensitiser a paper can take. The BFK Rives I used in the exchange is almost like blotting paper so it sucks up quite a bit and the aim is to get just enough liquid on the paper that you can make smooth brush strokes but not so much that it puddles.
    The "antique-y look" definitely sounds like a paper thing to me. There's some cheap cartridge/inkjet paper I have used that has that issue.

When you're starting out, it's good to just buy small packs/single sheets to start out with, just to test. And sometimes the paper company will just change a product so you have to move on and find a new one. Cyanotype is prima donna
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn's suggestion of treating the paper with oxalic acid is interesting. What occurred to me instantly was the idea of doing cyanotypes on handmade paper made from dieffenbachia - "dumb cane". Got to try that!

I'm always trying to give away my secrets but no one ever seems willing to try them! So, I guess they are safe.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    bowzart...One of the more sophisticated ways of lying is to tell the truth in such a way that no one believes you...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin