Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,894   Online: 975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am looking to play with making some internegs, but I hate going in blind. Anyone know of a good guide to making these beasts?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you mean internegs to make enlarged black and white negatives or do you mean internegatives made from transparency material to create negatives for color printing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I played with paper internegs a few months ago. If that's along the lines of what you want to do, you can see an image of mine in the standard gallery -- I think I posted Sonata. There's lots of detail there on what I did, if it's helpful.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two approaches to look at: negative->interpositive->internegative

Here are some links:http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/En...nlargeneg.html
    or
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/Stuart%20Melvin's%20Pyro%20System.html
    or
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Tech...20Printing.htm

Or a one-step direct negative by reversal:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/NbyR/nbyr.html

I have seen prints from negatives made by all four methods, and they look great. I have a feeling that a learning curve will be involved in any of the methods, so don't expect immediate gratification. But these methods will actually work.

I'm reluctant to mention this on APUG, but the lazy man's method that i have used very successfully is the scan/adjust/imagesetter neg output route ala Dan Burkholder. That said, I find it works best with a HUGE digital input file form a large format drum scan, and can sort of fall flat with small negatives. The thing is, I just like real, honest grain when I print small negs, and the diginegs give me this fakey looking psuedo-grain. So I am gearing up to use a modified Stuart Melvin approach for my small camera negs that I want to print in platinum. I'll let the forum know if I have any great insights or noticeable successes. Any failures will be buried and will never be mentioned in polite company again.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="clay"] So I am gearing up to use a modified Stuart Melvin approach for my small camera negs that I want to print in platinum.

I shall be pleased to learn how you get on. The few negs I have enlarged have been on Bergger BPFB 18 and the results have been encouraging; although for various reasons I have only made very few. I have the film and plan to make more. Stuart Melvin's process was one that I looked at and it seems to be successful but I did not go down that route.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've had that link (one-step direct negative by reversal: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/NbyR/nbyr.html) in my favorites for a year now, but for whatever reason haven't gotten around to seriously considering trying it. I'm glad you reminded me. I have sodium sulfite, of course, and even potassium dichromate (for gums, which I haven't done yet), but where would one get sulphuric acid? Could it possibly be had locally, or would one have to order it online?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to an auto parts store and buy battery acid. That's all it is. It is extremely nasty stuff, so put it in some glass bottles and make sure they are stored safely out of harm's way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    "swimming pool acid is the same thing. You can get it at any swimming pool supply place. They sell it by the gallon, and often in a two gallon pack."

You know, that's what I thought. I'm helping my mother get ready to sell her house, and the last owners turned the carport into a lanai... unfortunately, the carport cement had been painted green, so now the walkway and driveway are bare cement, but one strip of the walkway is partially green with old paint. I was pretty sure sulphuric acid was what we needed to etch the cement with... guess I can split the cost with her. Cool.

As far as battery acid, well, I think I'd rather buy the pool stuff. Must be psychological... same stuff, but somehow pool acid sounds safer than battery acid... :roll:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The last time I bought acid at a swimming pool supply outfit - to adjust ph in the pool... It was Hydrochloric ... not Sulphuric. Does that make a difference?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin