Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,465   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

what paper for Ware's New Cyanotype?

Mike Ware recommends Buxton or Silversafe, neither of which are available at reasonable prices in the USA (Ruscombe Mill is $18/sheet). I tried Arches Platine but got horrible reaction (sensitizer turned to green/blue). I fixed this with citric acid but still get a terrible speckled effect from bad absorption (even after adding some Photo-Flo).

I know this is the Platine paper causing the problem because when I coat an old sheet of Crane's 100% Cotton resume paper, I get a very smooth, consistent tone (this paper is too thin and falls apart in the wash, but it is smooth ;-)

So, what is the best paper to use for a reasonable price? Or, am I stuck using $18/sheet paper? I am looking for something smooth that will maximize the resolution of the final print. Thank you!

P.S. It seems like the New Cyanotype formula doesn't respond to Hydrogen Peroxide as original cyanotype. Have others found this to be true?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Try sizing with gelatin if you want smoother tones. It may also help with the speckling effect, as the solution does not come into contact with the paper.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like Crane's Weston Diploma Parchment - smooth texture yielding good detail. And tea-toning gives good results. Also, btw, its inexpensive too.
    Last edited by doughowk; 02-25-2009 at 07:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New Cyanotype is very sensitive to paper, and gelatine sizing will not help.
    I second the Weston doploma... I tried once the first batch when the paper was newly announced, and it worked beautifully. (New Cyanotype is my way of testing paper: if this process works, others will also.)
    You may bring a range of other papers into service, however, by pre-coating them with citric acid (try a 40% solution).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just did it with really old sensitizer with ClearPrint Vellum. Worked great and a very different look

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Bienfang 360. But I have whole flat files full of drafting vellum, I'll have to give that a try.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    New Cyanotype is very sensitive to paper, and gelatine sizing will not help.
    Okay, I won't argue against that. I've got only limited experiences with Whatman HP and Buxton paper.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had mixed citric acid into the sensitizer at the time of application as Mike Ware advised. I tried your advice of pre-coating the paper instead. That stopped the speckling issue. Thank you.

I'm still not getting a lot of adhesion though. There is a lot of wash-off of Prussian Blue in the wash. This results in shadows that are not very dark. And, H2O2 seems to have no effect at immediately restoring some density (like it does with original cyanotype).

Well, I bought some Arches Bright White Hot Press and Bright White Cold Press to experiment. That's all they had at the local art store. Both have gelatin sizing. Maybe I'll have to sport for the Weston Diploma Parchment.

Any other tips are appreciated. Once I have these issues solved, I can start toning and tweaking from there.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    where can you still find the weston diploma paper? I've been looking and can't find it anywhere...
    "the age of nature is past; it has finally exhausted the patience of all sensitive minds by the loathsome monotony of its landscapes and skies." naturaimmemorial.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tried the Arches Aquarelle 90lb Bright White Hot Press tonight.

First attempt: Sensitize paper (New Cyanotype + tiny drop of photo-flo) turned green after 5 minutes. Fail.
    Second attempt: Bath paper in citric acid bath for 5 minutes. Dry. Coat with sensitizer. Turned green. Fail.
    Third attempt: Precoat with 40% Citric Acid w/v solution. Dry. Coat with New Cyanotype + tiny drop of photo-flo.
    - didn't turn green
    - no mottle or speckle in final image
    - citric acid overcoat made even coating of sensitizer harder to do
    - still some wash-off of Prussian Blue
    - final density not so good (worse than regular cyanotype)
    - my fingerprints would lift the Prussian Blue off the paper while it was wet.
    - densities were better than Arches Platine. Absorption was better than Platine.

Hmmm.....

Buxton paper is out of stock until fall. Weston Diploma seems to be gone. Ideas on a non-buffered paper I might try?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin