Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,217   Online: 1041

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys. I'll get some litmus paper (though I may have some around somewhere...or I'll hit up the Chemistry Dept for some) and will aim of a pH of 6...I have plenty of Oxalic acid. I have some crystals in the bottom of the jug, so I'll add a little water.

I'll have to get some more potassium oxalate, too. I spilled a little during my last printing session and I have barely enough to print with. Hate doing that, but sometimes the old brain/body connection falters in the wee morning hours.

Vaughn

PS...my guess is that my pH will be good -- I generally use an Oxalic acid treatment on my paper (soaking the paper a couple minutes in a 5% solution) before coating.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Ummm... you missed the point. Maybe I wasn't clear. You apply the tape prior to coating the paper then remove it after drying. The idea is to mask off the area to be coated, not masking over the coated area. That's what Rubylith, Amberlith or Goldenrod are for.
    Yes, yes...of course!

(slaps forehead)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    The way he used a tilted easel rather than laying it on a flat surface and started from the top of the print and gently lifted the top edge of the paper allowing the solution to flow down the paper. This he did in sucessive brushstrokes down the paper until it began to pool at the bottom then he began to draw the excess away with the same brush where the tape was and drain it back into the pot. The coating was exceptionally even though. Apparently there is a slight difference in exposure at the bottom but this must be factored in when printing. Obviously everyone has their own way of doing things but this seems to work for them. He was quite blase about humidity really. There was a humidifier in the room but obviously when you're that good you're totally intuitive about the process. The paper they use 90% of the time is arches aquarelle. I was in complete awe being there.
    This sounds similar to the way a watercolorist paints a wash...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should ammonium citrate be treated the same way as PO (mentioned in a previous post), ie, checking its ph and adding oxalic acid to keep it acid...?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    This sounds similar to the way a watercolorist paints a wash...
    Paul Caffell was a painter before he was a platinum printer and he still does paint too, so that kind of makes sense
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    for what its worth I like working with ammonium citrate because at room temp it seems to be very consistent. I'm told pH is less a deal, just add fresh solution to keep your vol up. With pure pd I think the color is warm enough for much of what I do. What I do like about ammonium citrate is that with a little Na2 with pd you can get some very nice subtle colors. However if the Na2 conc goes up for need of increasing contrast control then the prints seem to get increasing cool in color. I think ammonium citrate is a tad healthier to work with also. That said I use pot . ox. about 40% of the time.

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    Paul Caffell was a painter before he was a platinum printer and he still does paint too, so that kind of makes sense
    Except it was Dominic who I was watching make the prints but he probably got the technique from Paul I would imagine. Some real nice work coming out of your workshops Dave. I'd like to try running something like that in future down this way. Thanks Miles, I'm just going to go ahead and use the citrate. Need to just get stuck in and try it this week.
    Last edited by Jarvman; 03-01-2009 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jarvman,

You're thinking about running workshops in pt/pd printing?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not any time soon Tom, haven't even made the first print yet! Thinking way ahead now. But it's an idea for years to come. There's a perfect place called Swansea Print Workshop that does screen printing and cyanotypes and I could see it fitting in there really nicely. Gotta think of all the different sidelines I can. It's inspirational seeing someone else doing it.
    Last edited by Jarvman; 03-01-2009 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What have been your main printing interests so far?

Tom.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin