Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,605   Online: 1092

Could some kind person who knows about Na2 please give me a simple set of 'drop formulas' for the Na2 solutions for palladium printing.... 10%, 5%, 2.5%... mixed from the 20% solution. I am not certain if the formulas are based on weight or volume. So the number of drops of distilled H20 to 20%Na2 for each of the dilutions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll need 3 extra bottles. Assuming for the sake of simplicity that you start with 20ml of Na2 at the 20% delivered strength. Put 10 ml of it along with 10ml of distilled water in a spare bottle. That is your 10% solution. Take 10ml of that and add 10ml of water in the next bottle. That is your 5% solution. Take 10ml of the 5% and add 10ml of water. That is your 2.5% solution. You are now done.

Thanks Clay..... you always have excellent answers to my questions.

Or....
    1:1 = 10%
    1:3 = 5%
    1:7 = 2.5%
    For those times when I do not need to mix all three solutions..... correct?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Those are the numbers that I came up with, too. I would start out this way until I arrive at a typical contrast level for a print. Then you can make the solutions.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Question:
    Does Na2 only work for Pd? Can it be used to modify contrast in Pt, as well? Would this be mixing sodium with potassium - a faux pas on the order of apples and oranges?
    Actually, that was three questions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No.

8)

Most folks use a combination of Pt and Pd for their prints. If you use NA2 you will get Pt salts, because that's what NA2 is. So you will get a mixture of Pt and Pd. I do believe that all these compounds are sodium salts. Don't have the bottles in front of me, so I can't confirm.

There is an article on the Bostick and Sullivan website that explains how to use the NA2 contrast agent. I started using it last year and it works very well. Much better that the "evil #2 solution" as descritbed by Jorge.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I gave up on the #2 long ago. 'Tis evil, sure!
    Thanks for the tip. I'll get some Na2 next B&S order. They seem to happen about once a week lately!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dick Arentz has a very good table for pd/Na2 in his web site.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin