Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 979

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole

raw ingredients

The island must have drinking water, tropical, cold, dry, mediterranian, etc climate to get raw ingredients from it. Most uninhabited islands are this because there is no drinking water, so, the short story will have to be a supernatural one, that is an island inhabited but with people who know nothing about photography and have this paradise with, of course, a volcano:
    Hawaii before the arrival of the white men.
    A door is open under certain conditions, it could be atmospheric ones or psycological ones, supernatural ones, but you will have all you need in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    one can make a perfect developer from headache tablets (tylenol etc) and toilet destop - Caustic Soda (sp?) .

-m-
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Pinhole
    http://www.ecoenquirer.com/levitating-islands.htm
    Now, an island was considered in having permanent characteristics but see this article
    (Washington, DC) Unusual images of the Earth have occasionally been uncovered after declassification of hundreds of thousands of spy satellite images by the National Imagery Mapping Agency (NIMA). In one of the more spectaular images, gathered on May 25, 2005, the apparent levitation of at least two Caribbean islands above the surface of the ocean was captured (above).

The islands are located in a large region popularly known as the Bermuda Triangle. The spy satellite imagery clearly shows shadows cast by two of the islands on the ocean surface in such a way that can only be explained if the islands are levitated above the ocean surface, in one case by approximately ten miles
    So if it can levitate, it can do whatever is needed.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amusingly I was recently thinking about this lately (who knows why) - but based on some earlier discussion in this thread, can one use urine as a developer for silver-based films or is it just a non-possibility due to the lack of developing agents? I'm not about to drink sodium sulfite or metol. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Amusingly I was recently thinking about this lately (who knows why) - but based on some earlier discussion in this thread, can one use urine as a developer for silver-based films or is it just a non-possibility due to the lack of developing agents?
    The latter, I think, for most of us. But there's a disorder called alkaptonuria that causes a developing agent related to hydroquinone to be excreted in the urine: see http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/172/8/1002, a case study that includes a portrait of the patient developed in his urine.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I was on a deserted island I would be too busy looking for a wooden boat to smash up to make a raft.

Steve.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The latter, I think, for most of us. But there's a disorder called alkaptonuria that causes a developing agent related to hydroquinone to be excreted in the urine: see http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/172/8/1002, a case study that includes a portrait of the patient developed in his urine.

-NT
    Nathan, very fascinating. Thanks for this.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The expression "taking the piss" comes to mind.

I'm not being rude, the expression comes from the old practice of taking the urine from the gents urinals in London by boat in wooden barrels to the North East coast of England, where it was hauled up a cliff face to a chemical works to extract the ammonia.

Urea breaks down to Ammonia, so that's one source of alkali

Ian

ammonia is also a rather weak silver halide solvent...so in principle it might do for a fixer...mind the gas- it is poisson...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    mind the gas- it is poisson...
    Ammonia gas is a French fish?

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post

-NT
    Hence the old curse - 'May your children piss port wine'.
    George III had it. Could you ask him to accompany you to this island?
    So far nobody has ground a lens - or are we using a pinhole camera?
    Murray

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin