Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,219   Online: 879

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Fp4 in Pyrocat for Palladium with BTZS

Would anyone have BTZS numbers/times for FP4 in pyrocat 2:2:100 that he/she would be willing to share? I am shooting for a density range in the 1.75-1.8 area for palladium.

I know that Clay Harmon posted times on unblinkingeye.com, but those numbers are for a 1.5:3:100 dilution.

Thanks,
    Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Why don't you just start with Clay's dilution?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I might do that, but I think I read somewhere that he abandoned the use of that dilution in favor of 2:2:100 because it was causing excessive base fog or general stain or some such thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am temporarily without my PC laptop where my Winplotter files are stored so my suggestion may be a big off. However, you should reach a DR of about 1.8 with FP4+ in the 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD in about 12 minutes with continuous agitation at 70F. Add about 15% time to that for tray development with shuffle agitation.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I might do that, but I think I read somewhere that he abandoned the use of that dilution in favor of 2:2:100 because it was causing excessive base fog or general stain or some such thing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sandy,

Thanks. That is the number I would have guessed at. What strikes me as strange is that from the numbers I have seen, it looks as though the development times for FP4 and TMY are about the same throughout the SBRs. If that is so, it is a lucky coincidence (less for me to remember).

-Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Sandy,

Thanks. That is the number I would have guessed at. What strikes me as strange is that from the numbers I have seen, it looks as though the development times for FP4 and TMY are about the same throughout the SBRs. If that is so, it is a lucky coincidence (less for me to remember).

-Paul
    I have noticed that several films in pyrocat in a specific dilution will develop with reasonably similar times especially in BTZS tubes.

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Miles,

That does seem to be the case. Clay Harmon notes that TMY and FP4 require roughly equal development times throughout the SBR range to achieve a density suitable for palladium. That is at the 1.5:3:100 dilution. I will probably just start by trying FP4 at the same times I have been using successfully for TMY with the 2:2:100 dilution.

I do not have a densitometer or the means to do BTZS testing, but I find the metering techniques easy to use so I borrow other people's numbers and adjust them for my own use. I realize that is probably is a violation of the rigorous principles of the BTZS technique, but so be it.

-Paul

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Poking around in the archives I found a post in which Sandy King posted times for FP4 in pyrocat to produce negative density of 1.6, which is not far from what I am looking for. I quote it here for anyone who might be interested:

"[W]hen shooting for a DR of 1.6 I need the following times wiht the 2;2:100 dilution oif Pyrocat-HD at 70F.

SBR 10 5:00 minutes
    SBR 9 6:30 minutes
    SBR 8 9:15 minutes
    SBR 7 11:00 minutes
    SBR 6 14:00 minutes
    SBR 5 19:00 minutes

These are the times I use with FP4+ for kallitype and palladium negatives. I am really surprised that you need a negative with this much density range for AZ0. I wonder if this isthe experience of other AZO printers?

Sandy"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin