Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,505   Online: 789
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    29

    Toning Kallitypes

    I have been toning kallitypes as follows:

    A solution of 20 drops of sodium chloropallidite plus 5 gms citric acid in 1 liter distilled H2O. After about 7 minutes of toning there is a distinct tonal change, but there is also a bleaching of highlights and overall increase in contrast. Is the solution to this problem to overexpose the print or reduce/eliminate the citric acid in the toner.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,623
    What developer formulae are you using?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

  3. #3
    davido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    toronto, ontario canada
    Shooter
    Holga
    Posts
    458
    Images
    17
    I have been using B&S palladium sol. #3 which is apparently fairy close to a 20% sodium chloropalladite solution for toning. I use 5ml of this solution per 1000ml of toner, plus 5g of citric acid.
    My question is: do you use the toner as a one shot? If you are not using as a one shot perhaps the palladium is being used up from the toner and the citric acid is beginning to bleach out the print?
    Also, I notice a difference in the colour immediately and only tone for 4-5 minutes for permanence.

    -david

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    This is the formula I use. Tone in a flat bottom tray, use as little of the solution as possible, and keep it moving over the print. Lift the print from time to tim and allow to drain to reduce the possibility of stains on the back.

    The image should change color as much as it will in five minutes, but the palladium metal continues to replace silver for the next ten minutes or so. If you tone longer than fifteen minutes some bleaching is likely.

    Sandy King





    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    I have been using B&S palladium sol. #3 which is apparently fairy close to a 20% sodium chloropalladite solution for toning. I use 5ml of this solution per 1000ml of toner, plus 5g of citric acid.
    My question is: do you use the toner as a one shot? If you are not using as a one shot perhaps the palladium is being used up from the toner and the citric acid is beginning to bleach out the print?
    Also, I notice a difference in the colour immediately and only tone for 4-5 minutes for permanence.

    -david

  5. #5
    davido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    toronto, ontario canada
    Shooter
    Holga
    Posts
    458
    Images
    17
    Sandy, I didn't realize it took so long for the palladium to completely replace the silver. I would assume that a majority of the metal has been replaced after 5 minutes, would 15 minutes be needed for an archival print?
    How long do you tone for?
    Also, I have noticed these small stains on the back of my prints, I will try lifting the print.

    thanks
    david

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    David,

    One of the conservators at the Getty Museum in LA tested four kallitype prints that I processed identically except for length of toning time. I posted the results at the time on the alt photo process list but have since misplaced the data. However, my recollection is that replacement was about 60% at five minutes, 70% at ten minutes, 80% at 15 minutes and 90% at 20 minutes.

    Those figures are probably off a bit, but what you see is that with this toner it would take a fairly long time to replace all the silver. However, even if only 80-90% of the silver is replaced with palladium the print should be quite archival by any standard.

    Sandy







    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Sandy, I didn't realize it took so long for the palladium to completely replace the silver. I would assume that a majority of the metal has been replaced after 5 minutes, would 15 minutes be needed for an archival print?
    How long do you tone for?
    Also, I have noticed these small stains on the back of my prints, I will try lifting the print.

    thanks
    david

  7. #7
    davido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    toronto, ontario canada
    Shooter
    Holga
    Posts
    458
    Images
    17
    Sandy,

    Do you recall if the Conservator said what these different percentages meant in regards to archival nature of the prints?

    Do you tone for 15 to 20 minutes for your kallitypes? Yikes!

    thanks
    david

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    He did not offer an opinion about this.

    However, if we work on a replacement figure of 80% of the silver, that leaves 80% palladium and 20% silver. Even if the fading of the silver is 50%, highly unlikely if the print is processes correct, that still leaves an image with 90% of its original Dmax.

    If the replacement figure was 90%, that would leave an image made up of 90% palladium and 10% silver. If the fading of the silver is 50%, that leaves 95% of Dmax.



    Sandy



    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Sandy,

    Do you recall if the Conservator said what these different percentages meant in regards to archival nature of the prints?

    Do you tone for 15 to 20 minutes for your kallitypes? Yikes!

    thanks
    david

  9. #9
    davido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    toronto, ontario canada
    Shooter
    Holga
    Posts
    458
    Images
    17
    Thanks Sandy.
    That makes it very clear. Now that I'm in a position to hopefully start selling some of my Platinum toned Vandykes, I'm concerned about the archival quality of them. It sounds like toning length isn't an issue I need to be too concerned about. Though I will start toning them longer than 5 minutes.

    cheers
    david



    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    He did not offer an opinion about this.

    However, if we work on a replacement figure of 80% of the silver, that leaves 80% palladium and 20% silver. Even if the fading of the silver is 50%, highly unlikely if the print is processes correct, that still leaves an image with 90% of its original Dmax.

    If the replacement figure was 90%, that would leave an image made up of 90% palladium and 10% silver. If the fading of the silver is 50%, that leaves 95% of Dmax.



    Sandy

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pakistan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    266
    Regarding the original question:
    fading is a phenomenon I encountered with kallitypes when I left them for too long in the (slightly acidic) sodium citrite developer, and/or cleared them for too long in citric acid.
    I never had an issue with fading in the toner, and I imagine you might try to use a much stronger toning solution: for 20 drops of sod. pal. I consider a solution of 100 cc of 1% citric acid more than enough. In such a solution -50 cc is onough for an 8x10 - made to slosh over the image area, you see the toning action immediately, and the image is rapidly toned to visual completion - leave it for some time longer, though.
    In the weak solution you mixed, the citric acid might iduce some bleaching even when the toning goes on - this is just a suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin