Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,004   Online: 1239

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Dmax in Pt/Pd increased by wax - process details anyone?

Hello all,

I was reading the wikipedia entry on Platinum printing which stated that the apparent Dmax of a Pt print could be increased by waxing or lacquering it...

Sure I could rub a candle on my prints but does anyone have more detailed info on the two proceedures ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Goose Nest (near Martinsburg), West Virginia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've not used this, but I just happened across this product the other day: Renaissance Wax. Maybe it would work for Pt/Pd?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    there's a technique for waxing Pt/Pd prints in Dick Arentz Book .... Platinum & Palladium Printing, 2nd edition , he writes about using Gamblin cold wax, stiff shoe brush and soft shoe brush . He says it can darken the blacks.

Miles
    Miles :
    cherish light

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1) Reniassance Wax
    2) Wax On
    3) Wax Off
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Perfect,

Thanks for the infos

I have some prints here that I think may benefit from a treatment, keen to try it...

Nick
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have used the Krylon UV Spray and wax. Did not like either one any better than the look I get with just plain gelatin used to size paper for gum over platnium/palladium. Of course if you are using a paper suitable for gum why not just add a layer or two.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Place a chunk of bleached beeswax the size of a quarter on a plate. Heat in microwave until partially melted (some liquid and some soft wax). Remove and add 2 - 3 drops of lavender oil and mix into a creamy goo. Make a 2 small buffing pads out of a well-washed flannel shirt. Dip one pad into the waxy creme and apply to your print in a circular motion. Allow to set for a minute, then use the other pad to buff it out in a straight line motion. Never did this in plats. but it makes my salt prints DMax much deeper.

NWG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Trewax on my silver prints. It is a carnauba paste for floors, very tough. I can put it on mounted prints and you wouldn't even notice the wax that got on the board, but it does increase the depth and brilliance of the print. Since it is a tremendously tough film, it also protects the print from abrasion, just as it does the floor. I don't know whether it cuts UV. It would require more buffing than beeswax because it has a much higher melting point. I've tried beeswax and don't like it because it is too soft.

I learned this in the mid 60's from Minor White, but I believe he used the similar Johnson's product. The important thing, I believe, is that the wax should be carnauba. These waxes are turpentine based; I don't know whether there is a product that uses a friendlier solvent.

Clarence John Laughlin used to flow floor lacquer onto his prints. They were wonderfully rigid and glossy. No problem handling them, even unmatted. At a large gathering of students, he simply passed them around.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've made up wax with bleached beeswax and damar resin, supposedly this is what the old-timers used. Works well but the Reniassance Wax Kerik mentions was supposedly developed to replace this concoction by the British museum.
    Ike

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used Renaissance Wax on my regular fiber prints, and Agfa Sistan for alt process prints. Can the wax be used in combination with the Sistan, or should I use just wax for all?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin