Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,177   Online: 854

Shooter
    35mm RF

Toning kallitypes after fixation

Is it true that using a gold o platinum toner after fixation allows greater retention of the native color of the kallitype (which, of course, varies with the developer used)?
    Any experience?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No, that is not true. In toning with gold, palladium or platinum the image will assume a color consistent with the color of the more noble metal, regardless of the native color of the kallitype, which of course can vary a lot depending on developer as you correctly point out.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by nogar View Post
    Is it true that using a gold o platinum toner after fixation allows greater retention of the native color of the kallitype (which, of course, varies with the developer used)?
    Any experience?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for your reply
    I read that in this article: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ferric/ferric.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe that what Ed says is that if you tone *after* fixing there will be less color change than if you tone before fixing. That is correct, but most people appear to prefer to tone before fixing to avoid bleaching of the image in the fixer.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by nogar View Post
    Thanks for your reply
    I read that in this article: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ferric/ferric.html
    Last edited by sanking; 04-14-2009 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin