Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,326   Online: 876

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Colour Film, B&W Chems?

OK, this is going to seem like a total newbie question, well, because it is (for this kind of thing anyway), but.....

Is it at all possible to process Colour film (either positive or negative) in B&W Chems (I am currently using Ilford LC-29)? What kind of results would I expect? Would it contiminate chems (such a Fixer), that I wish to keep and re-use for B&W processing?

Any advice would be great!

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, you can process color film in B&W chemicals. That's one of several types of cross-processing -- other common ones being color print (C-41) in reversal (E-6) chemicals or slide (E-6) film in print (C-41) chemicals.

When you process either color print or color slide film in B&W chemicals, you'll get a B&W negative (unless of course you do B&W reversal processing). I've never done it myself, but my understanding is that most color print films produce a B&W negative with a dense orange mask, but slide film produces a less pronounced mask.

I don't recall hearing about problems with fixer when doing cross processing, but I can't say with certainty that there won't be problems. If you want to try it and you're concerned about this, just wait until your fixer is nearly exhausted and do your cross processing as the last roll in that batch; or set aside some fixer to use only for your cross-processing experiments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cheers and thanks! I might just give it a shot. I have quite a few rolls of out of date film (mainly Fuji Superia and Sensia). I also wanted to use a roll to test some drying methods (I am still getting marks on my film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not cut up a bit of exposed film and test it.

About the drying marks, do you use photoflo?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Why not cut up a bit of exposed film and test it.

About the drying marks, do you use photoflo?

No, I cannot get photoflo locally. I am using Ilfotol with Demineralised water. I am just trying to work out how much Ilfotol I should be using.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does it matter what developer you use then? How do you determine the developing time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin