Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,339   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I am using stonehenge rising for kallitypes. Following all the steps in Sandy's article, I am am getting good results with tonal balance and contrast, but the coating is not smooth. It almost appears like the coating is not on the surface and the character of the paper is more predominant than the image on the coating. And therefore the image is not sharp. I have tried extra coating solution with no improvement. Should I just try another paper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try aubumum if you want sharp.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

you will have to tell me what "aubumum" is!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm dyin' to know what it is.
    Paper matters a great deal. Try several.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I spelled it wrong-
    Albumen printing:

http://www.redhillphoto.com/albumen.html

try that.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sometimes the watercolor type papers have a smooth side and a textured side. Try some prints on the "other" side of the paper and see if that solves the problem.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What sort of contact print frame are you using? Holding the negative tight against the paper is key. The weight of a big piece of glass may be insufficient. I like my 8x10 prints better when made on my spring-closed contact frame. The one with the hinge on one end and thick glass gives fuzzy images. I use Rising Stonehenge and the find the surface wonderful. I haven't yet used Arches Platine for kallitypes but you might like that surface better. Also the color of the print is affected by the paper.
    PS I learned the hard way to get a properly sized paper. Arches 88 feels like heaven but sucks coating solution like dry sand!

I am using a vacuum frame. I got some nice results on clearprint 1020 this weekend. Used some crane's platinotype also, but I liked the clearprint better.

For most of my kallitype printing I have tailored the negative so I can use 4ml pot dichromate in the sodium citrate. So the negative needs to be about 1.5 log. Is there any good reason to consider tailoring my negatives for using 1ml dichromate, which will require a negative log of 1.75 - 1.8?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin