Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,488   Online: 968

Shooter
    Large Format

Showing Pt/Pd prints

I had an April show of silver gelatine enlargements and was asked to show my new work in Pt/Pd. I am somewhat reluctant. I have never been really pleased with the way Pt/Pd shows behind glass. Or at least how mine look.

Has anyone shown prints mounted and framed without glass? I don't have so much worry about the fingerprint touches but I would not be allowed to pin the mounted prints right to the wall. They would have to hang from clips on a rail ten feet up.

Any advice on display sans glass?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've always shown mine behind glass, because I don't trust the general public not to touch, breathe, or even spit on them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have always shown mine without glass. I used to be in one of John Stevenson's galleries. He is near the top of galleries showing platinum and at the time I knew him he never used glass. It has a huge impact to walk into a show of photographs with no glass because there are no reflections and they seem much more clear and powerful that way. It is something that doesn't dawn on some viewers, they just notice that photos are really strong and clear.

I showed awhile ago in a place that did framing and they agreed to show without glass however they did a display of one of the platinum prints behind a very expensive non glare glass and it was pretty amazing. I can't afford that type glass but it is almost like glassless.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I always show mine in a frame but without glass and never had any problem.
    All my shows were in photographic galleries.

I showed awhile ago in a place that did framing and they agreed to show without glass however they did a display of one of the platinum prints behind a very expensive non glare glass and it was pretty amazing. I can't afford that type glass but it is almost like glassless.[/QUOTE]

I always use that non glare to display my Pt/Pt's. Here in Portugal is called "Museum glass". Is really amazing. Is like having no glass at all. After trying it for the first time I could not use ordinary glass again.
    This glass has a very effective anti glare coating.

Regards

Manuel Gomes Teixeira

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree use high end glass. Truvu makes AR (anti-reflective) & Museum Glass. They are both coated like a lens or glasses to virtually eliminate reflections. It is expensive, but worth it. The other thing about these 2 glass lines is that it is 'low iron' meaning it is less green and whiter.

I usually skip the museum and go with the AR!

Good Luck!

Corey

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin