Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,654   Online: 1269

Which Hardener When Sizing For Carbon Printing?

Which hardener do you use when gelatin sizing the final support paper when carbon printing? Formaldehyde? Will my darkroom end up smelling like the undertaker's?
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 05-03-2009 at 06:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I use glyoxal, no odor at all. Some have reported yellowing problems with age or flattening the prints in a drymount press, but I haven't. Yet..

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    ...forgot to mention that glyoxal might also lull people into a false sense of complacency because it's lack of odor- it may as dangerous as formalin or formaldehyde, I'm not sure. But I treat all chemicals with a great deal of respect, no matter how innocent its appearance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use Formalin, but always with a fan for ventilation. It is an obnoxious odor, and dangerous, but I have gotten yellowing with glyoxal several times so I avoid it.

Chrome alum was used a lot in the past and it works fine, though not as fast as formalin. But there is little or no odor.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Which hardener do you use when gelatin sizing the final support paper when carbon printing? Formaldehyde? Will my darkroom end up smelling like the undertaker's?

Thanks guys. I do have Alum Chromate on hand, so I'll try that before tackling formalin.
    By the way Sandy, I ordered your book on Carbon & Carbro printing through alternativephotography...If you actually send it to me yourself, can I get you to sign it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sure, be happy to sign it. But when did you order the book? I don't have any record of the order as of now?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Thanks guys. I do have Alum Chromate on hand, so I'll try that before tackling formalin.
    By the way Sandy, I ordered your book on Carbon & Carbro printing through alternativephotography...If you actually send it to me yourself, can I get you to sign it?

Hi Sandy,

I ordered it yesterday...thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin