Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,241   Online: 902

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images

x-ray film for enlarged negatives?

Hello

Has anyone tried using x-ray film for enlarged negatives for alt processes?
    I have used APS lith as well as fuji scanner film with success, however, I am always on the look out for a film which can produce a full tonal scale without getting 'blocked up' in the mid-tones.
    I'm wondering if X-ray film might be similar to lith or is it more similar to regular ortho film?

thanks
    david

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    X-ray film is very inexpensive. Why don't you just purchase a pack and try it out. It is not similar to regular ortho film, or lith.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for a copy film (negative to negative), X-ray ain't it. This is a negative film. Enlarging from a negative will give you a positive transparency. I just gave away my box of green sensitive 8x10 -- too little time, too much fiddling to get it to perform within the range of tones I needed. Others have had more success. The double emulsion built up density quite quickly and left me with harsh prints. Of course, if that's what your looking for...

I've heard that "extremity film" for hand xrays and mammogram film are single emulsion, fine detail film. I haven't tried 'em.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Xrays are also duplicated, to get a neg from a neg and continuous tone [ as opposed to high contrast lith]
    So get some Xray duplicating film- available from the medical folks or as "Continuous tone direct duplicating film" from Photowarehouse. The thread directly under this one will give you some hints as to developers , contrast etc. Short form, it's cheap enough to try in D 76 HC 110, Dektol etc to get it to do what you want. I have used it to dupe negs by contact, and have tried some projection dupes at larger size. Dense negs will make you crazy, normal or thin negs will just take long exposure; get a LOT of light that contains a lot of blue, or a calendar. Dupe film has a tendency to increase contrast, which you may find beneficial to your needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    X-ray film is very inexpensive. Why don't you just purchase a pack and try it out. It is not similar to regular ortho film, or lith.
    Gene is absolutely right... and many of the X-ray film suppliers will send you several sheets to test with for free. You will learn a lot about it just from those few sheets.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    Gene is absolutely right... and many of the X-ray film suppliers will send you several sheets to test with for free. You will learn a lot about it just from those few sheets.
    Yes, I probably will give it a try. I'm not concerned about the price, it's the amount of time it takes one to experiment with a film such as this which comes with no instructions. Isn't that why these forums exists? To share information about unconventional techniques and products which don't come with an instruction manual, so that we can pool information and come up with new and creative means of producing our work.

-david

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eworkman View Post
    Xrays are also duplicated, to get a neg from a neg and continuous tone [ as opposed to high contrast lith]
    So get some Xray duplicating film- available from the medical folks or as "Continuous tone direct duplicating film" from Photowarehouse. The thread directly under this one will give you some hints as to developers , contrast etc. Short form, it's cheap enough to try in D 76 HC 110, Dektol etc to get it to do what you want. I have used it to dupe negs by contact, and have tried some projection dupes at larger size. Dense negs will make you crazy, normal or thin negs will just take long exposure; get a LOT of light that contains a lot of blue, or a calendar. Dupe film has a tendency to increase contrast, which you may find beneficial to your needs.
    Thanks eworkman. I had always wanted to try duplicating film but was put off by the price and now, I believe, it may not be available anymore? This x-ray duplicating film is quite exciting! On ebay it's very cheap! It's also coated only on one side.

-david

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    Yes, I probably will give it a try. I'm not concerned about the price, it's the amount of time it takes one to experiment with a film such as this which comes with no instructions. Isn't that why these forums exists? To share information about unconventional techniques and products which don't come with an instruction manual, so that we can pool information and come up with new and creative means of producing our work.

-david
    I absolutely agree! My point was that it didn't need to cost to experiment and to encourage people to try it! The only cost is their time. And the people here can even short-cut that by giving you their experiences as a starting point. Gene was EXTREMELY helpful to me a year ago or so on it. I can certainly share my learning, if anyone wanted it...

I did my original exploration & experimentation on blue sensitive high spped film, but based on what I have read here and over on LFPF, I have switched to medium speed green sensitive... bought a new box of that ...so I'm starting over.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Xray dupe film is offered on several medical xray webstore sites.
    Some of the info is not clearly stated on some sites, such as how many sheets in a box
    Most seem to be 100 sheet boxes
    I didn't go back to check Photowarehouse, but I'd bet 1.5 euros that they offer 25 and 100 sht packs- I buy 8x10 and recall that they have offered larger and smaller sizes- 11x14? 5x7?
    14x17 dupe film is listed at National Discount Xray Supply - 25 sheets for $69.50

BUT Isn't lith film really slow also and doesn't it have an extremely narrow tolerance for exposure /development? If that's true and you have mastered lith, dupe should present you with a relatively easy learning curve, I'd opine. Hey if I can do it............

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for their replies.
    One other question:
    Is x-ray duplicating film orthochromatic ie. can I use it under a red or amber safelight?

-david

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin