Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,257   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

measurement tool for pt/pd

i have problem with the large print.i guess because i still use dropper. HAve anyone have problem with dropper? any idea how to measure the chemical for consistence print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Currently I use a 2ml dropper for my 9x13.5 images.

I believe I use approx 3ml of #1/Pd solution total. I just measure 1.5ml of each chemical (separate droppers) according to the marking on the dropper, instead of counting drops.

Works perfectly for me...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have noticed that the size of the drops do not seem to be very consistant between droppers. But about 15 drops equals a ml, I believe. So if you can accurately measure out ml's, or even better .5ml, then do away with the droppers.

How many drops do you need per print? Use water and put that many drops in a measuring cylinder. If there is not enough solution to accurately measure out by the ml, you might be able to mix up enough for two or three prints at a time, then after mixing, divide it up.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on the size of the print you might find it convenient to switch to cc. 20 drops normally make up one cc. When measuring, just use a beaker with an exact cale, and watch the surface of the fluid exactly (it will be somewhat concave, and it is worthhile to take this into account. Also, I would use a few drops of water to "clean" the beaker afterwards, and get out any precious metal left back in it. This will somewhat dilute the sensitizer, but that won't matter.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a number of syringes. The small 1ml ones (used by diabetics) measure increments of 0.1ml. I also have 3ml, 5ml, 10ml and 12 ml. I don't just use them for alt printing, but for measuring concentrates of stop, photoflo, rodinal, etc. I label each with permanent marker, to prevent cross-contamination.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're familiar with pipettes, I'd go with them. They're repeatable, washable, and can be purchased in a dizzying variety of capacities. I keep some 10 mL pipettes on hand for darkroom work.

You can also weigh your solutions. Tare off the final container and then measure your ordinary quantities. As long as you don't change your solution concentrations, everything should work fine.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Use Pipette and pipette pumps.
    I use 5ml versions.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Note they make plastic pipette's as well as glass ones if your worried about breaking the glass ones.

If you are using standard eye droppers, use only plastic ones. The glass kind have far too much variation in them to be repeatable for photographic use. Plastic droppers are medical grade and the openings are cut and sized at the factory for consistent drop size.

For the most consistency, I always lift the dropper straight out of the amber bottle, then over my shot glass. I never turn the dropper horizontally as I count drops, as I've often seem, because I find that the drops will cling to the side of the dropper, sometimes giving very small drops, and other times very large.

As others have mentioned, glass pipettes are extremely accurate and are kinda cool, as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use 36 drops of 1 for my 7x17. It's good to know that 15 drops equal 1 ml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin