Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,733   Online: 1022

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anthotypes on glass plates?

Recently I have been thinking about trying to make anthotypes on a transparent medium as opposed to paper as usual. In this case I imagine one would have difficulty making the vegetative juices adhere to the surface.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what you might be able to add to the liquid to be able to coat plates properly, obviously whilst retaining the property of the liquid to react to light.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    gelatin is always the traditional suggestion.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm going with albumin and distilled water 50:50. Add your vegetation and blend at high speed for 3 - 4 minutes and allow to rest over night in the ice box. Next day, remove any foam on the surface and filter. Take your extremely clean glass plate and steam it over a tea kettle, then pour on your emulsion (the steam helps the albumin spread evenly). Allow the plate to dry. Mount your "negative" over the plate in a printing frame, stick in a sunny window for a few months and you are off to the races...

NWG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you very much, that is very helpful.

i wasn't aware of 'albumin' and on searching just now i have found out it is 'an umbrella term for a type of protein which is water soluble'.

what particular substance do you suggest to provide the albumin? egg whites?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin