Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,472   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Single coat, brush, NO tween, no prsoak. But again, my batch is several years old, so you'll have to see what's out there now.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pateeid View Post
    Interesting. i never try this Rising Bristol before. Is it produce the similar tone as platinotype?
    The Rising mill closed about two years ago. Some of the former Rising products (including the legendary "Stonehenge") are being made by other companies in other mills, and while they may have the same specifications for their primary intended use (which is NOT Pt/Pd printing), they may appear to be quite different products when used in alternative photography.

One of the frustrations of Pt/Pd printing is finding a reliable supply of suitable paper. Many good papers have either disappeared altogether, or have been changed in some way over the last couple of years, and the recommendations that we had to work with a few months ago are not longer suitable.

The problem isn't all that bad for those of us who work in the medium only occasionally - I have a stock of material that will keep me going for another couple of years at least. The guys who do Pt/Pd exclusively have a greater challenge, and especially those who make their living from the process.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check with Bostick and Sullivan they discontinued Crane's Platinotype at least a year ago and now have a replacement .

Shooter
    ULarge Format

"Platinotype" Black Dot Disease

The Cranes Company name for this paper is Cranes Cover. "Platinotype" is a trade name. The paper has always had some minor issues with black dots but other papers do as well including old stock Stonehenge from 5 years ago. However, something changed in Cranes manufacturing process in the spring of 2006. A new paper batch arrived at Bostick and Sullivan in June 2006 on which the black dots appeared everywhere. I was the lucky one to receive the first shipment from this batch in the middle of teaching a workshop at the Cleveland Institute of Art. At the time, nobody else had reported any problems so Kevin overnighted replacement paper. It had the same problem so I broke into some of my personal stash of old stock to finish the class. From that point on, the paper has exhibited the black dot disease problem and alt process printers are not a large enough market to get the attention of the Cranes Company. If there are only a couple of small dots in a print, they can be etched with a sharp exacto knife and a powerful magnifier. But I don't recommend doing this for a lot of dots. Look for another paper and if you find one you like, buy a whole bunch of it and put it in the drawer. I have old stock of 4-5 different papers that have all changed or been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by alecmoody View Post
    I just got an order of cranes 90lb cover from photographers formulary with the black specs and contrast/coating issues. The paper base also looks darker than what I had before. Searching online some people say that there is no more good platinotype being made while others say it is an issue of the batch. I am having a hard time finding any information that is more recent. Can someone tell me what is going on with this paper and where I can find a good batch of it?

I really like how smooth the surface of platinotype is. Does anyone know of something similarly sharp and smooth (and heavier than graphics 360)?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At the end of 2007 I tried a batch of Cranes cover from Photographers Formulary and it was very good. Nice smooth paper fiber and no dots so I bought a stack of it. I think other good batches are bound to turn up but the problem is finding them and testing them. Photographers Formulary can't be trusted because they have told me they were sending good paper and sent terrible paper.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    like many people I have a stock of several different old papers, which I'll use until they run out. When I got a small amount of platinotype with black measles I began looking for another new paper. I tried a few sheets of the new Stonehenge and liked it so I bought two cases. after processing the nap is raised a little bit, but other than that I like this paper.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I realize Rising closed. But, Daniel Smith lists this. I don't know if it's old stock or a replacement made under the same name, but it might be worth a try.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Did anyone ever try the 80lb cranes cover?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i haven't tried the new rising stonehenge yet (daniel smith has it on sale currently), but from their website image it appears to be an off white rather than a bright white -- can anyone comment on how white stonhenge white is?...... also, has anyone ever tried canson's bright white for pt/pd?
    richbergeman.zenfolio.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin