Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,586   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Cranes Platinotype

I just got an order of cranes 90lb cover from photographers formulary with the black specs and contrast/coating issues. The paper base also looks darker than what I had before. Searching online some people say that there is no more good platinotype being made while others say it is an issue of the batch. I am having a hard time finding any information that is more recent. Can someone tell me what is going on with this paper and where I can find a good batch of it?

I really like how smooth the surface of platinotype is. Does anyone know of something similarly sharp and smooth (and heavier than graphics 360)?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am like you, wondering. I tested a batch early last year and it was good so I bought a bunch. Then I tested another batch about 6 months ago and it was terrible. I have a friend here who just tested it a couple weeks ago and said the same as you. The PF people said the problem was solved and the guy back east who sells the Westons Parchment said it is a matter of good and bad batches. I wonder if you were to order some from a regular paper supplier and tried the bright white and the ivory as well as the Natural white you might find one that works. If you do, don't tell anyone till you buy all you can afford.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alecmoody View Post
    I just got an order of cranes 90lb cover from photographers formulary with the black specs and contrast/coating issues. The paper base also looks darker than what I had before. Searching online some people say that there is no more good platinotype being made while others say it is an issue of the batch. I am having a hard time finding any information that is more recent. Can someone tell me what is going on with this paper and where I can find a good batch of it?

I really like how smooth the surface of platinotype is. Does anyone know of something similarly sharp and smooth (and heavier than graphics 360)?
    Disappointingly, my sample order came plainly marked "Cranes Cover" on the plastic encapsulating the paper in spite of it being advertised as "new" Platinotype. If I'd known this I never would have ordered - Dick Arentz warned me of his impressions of Crane Cover several years ago.

Testing this latest paper with PH pen shows it was not acid at all, unlike the old stock Plainotype.

I am not impressed with this one for Pt/Pd even after Oxallic Acid treatment. In fact, its the worst Pt/Pd paper I've tested to date. It failed in both step tablet and my test image. Dropout in mid-to-dark zones, with a weak max black (the image did not "wash off"). No evidence of spots in this sample. YMMV.

Since I have a small stock of the old (real) Cranes Platinotype, I'll stick with that, or other papers I have found suitable. There isn't anymore old stock available commercially that I am aware of.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I talked with the Crane's people they assured me that according to Cranes, there has never been anything other than 90lb cover. The Platinotype name was created after market. I have verified that on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    When I talked with the Crane's people they assured me that according to Cranes, there has never been anything other than 90lb cover. The Platinotype name was created after market. I have verified that on a few occasions.
    This is correct. Platinotype is not a Crane designation. It is simply a smooth surface cover stock.
    You might try one of the Neenah Paper Classic Crest Super Smooth Covers. I have no idea how it works for pt/pd however.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Dennis - have you tried any of the recent batch from formulary (last 2-3 months that they have restocked)? Are you happy with it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i also have a same problem. The step test look fine in the first tried but my print come out so grainy and seek like the emotion isnt stick on the paper as well. This is the reason why i stick with Bergger and Arches. They are not super consistence in production but they never let me down

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Ditto. The same paper has also been called Cranes Crest Natural White Wove, Cranes Artificial Parchment, Cranes Cover, etc. It's all about marketing.

I have some Rising Bristol 2-ply plate finish that has a similar look to "platinotype", except better. My batch is a few years old, so what's out there now may be different...
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting. i never try this Rising Bristol before. Is it produce the similar tone as platinotype?

Shooter
    Large Format
    That rising bristol paper- what does your print workflow look like when you print with it? Single coat? Rod/Brush? Tween? Acid presoak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin