Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,656   Posts: 1,481,408   Online: 1098

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bromoil over lith prints

I'm just starting out with Bromoil and was wondering about the feasibility of creating a matrix from lith prints. I realize that lith is an end, in and of itself, but I seem to prefer the contrast and look of a lith print over that of a normal B+W print, and was wondering whether it's even possible (chemically) to make a bromoil from lith.

I'm still waiting for my bleach and tanning chemicals to arrive, as well as the ink, so I haven't had a chance to get started yet. Looks like another few days before I head into the darkroom.

Any other advice for a new bromoil printer? Also, I was wondering if the fotospeed lith paper is supercoated? It can be used as normal paper (grade 2) if not used in lith developer. Would this be a decent paper to use?

Thanks
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't do bromoil prints at all, but the 'substance' that forms tone in a lith print is different, especially the highlights. When you bleach a lith print to tone it, the highlights often don't come back at all, unless there is some silver converted in that area. I believe that some of the highlights form due to an oxidation process, so I don't know how you'd get your highlights to ink after you bleach it.
    As I understand it, you want your matrix to be about 1/2 stop overexposed in the enlarger. When you do that with a lith print, you obviously lower the contrast. But you could potentially overexpose the print to lower the contrast and then overdevelop it in the chemistry. That would give you normal blacks while getting a heavier tone in the highlights and midtones. That might give you enough converted silver in the highlights to make a bromoil matrix from it.

Just my 32 cents based on toning lith prints (using either copper sulfate or potferri). I think bromoil employs copper sulfate bleach, but I'm not sure. You're going to have to fill in those blanks here.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Thomas. Yes, the bleach for bromoil contains copper sulfate. That's about all I know about the chemistry. I appreciate the info, I think I'm gonna just keep the two processes separate. After all, a good lith print is beautiful in and of itself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin