Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,336   Online: 840

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Where would inexpensive x-ray film fit into this discussion?

I have about 40 sheets each of 11x14 & 16x20 Ilford FB glossy paper that went south as far as enlarging is concerned. Is this paper suitable for carbon transfer printing? As the final print paper or an intermediate stage? Which side do you print on? I really know nothing. I'm just trying to save some paper from the dumpster.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could fix out the old FB glossy paper and use it as a final support for carbon printing. You would transfer the image to the emulsion side of the paper.

Many carbon printers use fixed out photo papers for carbon printing.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Where would inexpensive x-ray film fit into this discussion?

I have about 40 sheets each of 11x14 & 16x20 Ilford FB glossy paper that went south as far as enlarging is concerned. Is this paper suitable for carbon transfer printing? As the final print paper or an intermediate stage? Which side do you print on? I really know nothing. I'm just trying to save some paper from the dumpster.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ilford Glossy FB paper is my final support of choice...tho the old Kodak Elite is nice, too. Recycle/re-use...that is my carbon printing motto!

Actually just about any photopaper will work...the only one I had trouble with has been Oriental Glossy FB -- don't know why...but it just gave me foggy-looking prints. I know of another carbon printer that has used it with no problems. RC works well, also...I just prefer to keep the plastic out of the final product.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Sandy and Vaughn.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Bob, you need to have a stable final support. Gordon used Melinex. I have several sheets of his Melinex and sheets of his prepared tissue in both black and silver. I also have Gordon's NuArc unit with his pin registration board and have only played with multiple transfers. Gordon used one layer of silver and any where from 2 to 5 layers of black. I think you have to be careful of temperature and time of transfer to make things work. I will be experimenting more in the future but I am trying to finish printing some single transfer work first. The multi transfer is very interesting. Sandy King may be of help as would several of the people on the carbon forum. I'm a rookie when it comes to multi transfer work.
    Venchka, I have some work done with x-ray film that I will print in carbon but I need to make some more glop/tissue in 11x14. Give me some time and I'll post some results. As far as I can tell it is going to work just fine.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Bob, you need to have a stable final support. Gordon used Melinex. I have several sheets of his Melinex and sheets of his prepared tissue in both black and silver.

Jim
    I am assuming that Bob wants to make prints on rag type papers. If not there are several dimensionally stable synthetic papers that would work for multi-transfer, including Yupo. And the surface appearance is much more like that of paper like than that of Melinex.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    Jim,

Thanks! I look forward to seeing your work.

I was also curious if fixed out x-ray film could be used as the support for the carbon tissue. Or maybe even use reject x-ray film negatives. Recycle instead of keeping rejects forever. Heresy?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The X-ray film should work as a tissue support. My only concern is with my results when I used .007" thick litho film as a tissue support (same thickness as regular film, and probably the X-ray film as well). I had a not-so-good contact printing frame at the time, and I had a hard time keeping the tissue flat enough to get sharp prints -- where as I had only an occasional problem using the 0.004" litho film. I would get small areas that were totally out of focus...along the edges and sometimes in the middle areas.

Getting a better contact printing frame solved the occasional problem with the 0.004" tissue support...and while I never tried the 0.007" again, it might have solved the problem with the 0.007" also. Of course, a vacuum frame would be no problem. Just a heads up...your mileage may differ... But recycling/re-using rocks!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Vaughn. I missed the thickness/flatness/contact concern for 0.007" stock.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Just finished the Photostock Workshops ,

Met Ike, Kerik and Sandy and watched the whole workflow and in fact participated for five days .
    My head is swimming now as there was so much information and great technical help by the above that I need weeks to absorb what I saw.

Few comments, Ike has a wonderful recipe for the negatives. (I will be bringing him up to Toronto to work with me on my Lambda to make the film negatives.

Keriks_ Gum overs are beautiful , beautiful, beautiful, and have inspired me to try gum over lambda fibres . The range of colour tone is unlimited and quite doable in my darkroom.

Sandy King- not only is Sandy a wonderful man , but also a patient teacher and for my sensibility's as a silver printer his prints simply rock.
    the Black details are incredible and I have decided that carbon will be the way I go for a client of mine and Tri Colour Gum or Carbon for myself,my wife and selective clients.

Seeing all the great work these three brought to the table with very open and generous support , was a pleasure and certainly made 2009 for me.

Bill Schwab should be commended for bringing this together, providing the platform for all of us to meet , and keeping it all low key and pleasurable for the participants and our familys.
    Heard about a guy named Keith Taylor who does wonderful tri colour gum work and am very interested in seeing his prints.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin