Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 964

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I think thats why a clear laquer is applied over the image to protect it...
    To my knowledge Daguerreotypes were never commonly lacquered. In fact, I have never heard of a Daguerreotype being lacquered. Beginning in the early 1840s Daguerreotypes were gilded.

Perhaps you are thinking of collodion images?

In any case, there is a long discussion somewhere on APUG about how to increase the adherence of silver to glass. I never thought to etch the glass and will someday try it. I suspect that the matt surface of the glass would effect the surface of the silver and decrease reflectivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on how fine the etching is and how thick the silver is applied. I imagine with the right ratio the silver will polish up to a good finish.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi All,
    Am I to understand that some of you who are participating in this Thread actualy make, or have made, real mercury developed Daguerreotypes? I would love to hear the detailes. I have always been "chicken" to try.
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill, I have a couple of bottles of mercury I can give you. For some reason, people are always giving their old chemicals...
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you all for replies, and I know we are the "if it can be done we have done it" kind of group, but do we have anyone who might take a stab at answering the question directly?

Would anyone think this was a standard of the process right at first? Do we have any references to using glass plates? I would think that it would be "unusual" to use glass because of the above stated issues.

Comments?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is this factual? Have Daguerreotypes been done on glass?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

No.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can't say for certain (I am a positivist by day) but I do not believe that Daguerreotypes were made on silvered glass in the 19th century. I have never found reference to this in any of the 19th century texts I have read, which are quite a few, nor have I ever heard of a 19th century Daguerreotype on glass.

Still, since I have done it, I see no reason why a 19th century practitioner could not have done it. Of course, they would have had less need to do so, since manufactured Daguerreotype plates were easy to come by in the 1840s, and relatively cheap.
    Last edited by JG Motamedi; 06-10-2009 at 08:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: postivism

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Bill, I have a couple of bottles of mercury I can give you. For some reason, people are always giving their old chemicals...
    No Kirk,
    I already look too old for my 22 years!
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    [QUOTE=Robert Hall "if it can be done we have done it"
    Huhh?
    I have rarely read anything with which I disagree more strongly. I will believe that "The Earth is Flllaaat(!) first! I have done some things that no one has ever done before, nore would a sane human being ever want to.

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin