Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,669   Online: 882
      
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    187

    Kallitype bleaching/reducing and toning question

    I have an image which I exposed through a mask to produce a vignette. It requires a little bleaching on the border to eliminate a straight edge near the sides of the negative. At the same stage of processing I give it a quick dip in bleach to clear and give the highlights some sparkle.

    I kind of like the way the print turned out. Now I'm thinking of toning in gold. So it begs the question, does anyone else bleach their Kallitypes? If so, and if toning, could anyone make recommendations on the steps? Obviously bleach before toning, but should I tone with gold before fixing or after, and what is the difference?

    Of course if I had moved back some when exposing this image in camera, I would not have this problem, but bleaching is a tool used often.

    thanX for the comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 090604_0100.jpg  

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    167
    Images
    17
    Ciao Tim,

    I don't bleach my kallitypes, but I do tone them in either palladium, gold or both. I tried both of the gold toning formulas in Sandy Kings' kallitype article on unblinkingeye. I much prefer the gold toner formula with the thiourea and tartaric acid. I tone right after clearing with citric acid ( plus water rinse ) and before fixing. The gold gives a nice plum colored tone. I found that partial toning in palladium and then finishing it off in gold really increased the apparent contrast without much plumyness in tone.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    187
    I'm using sodium acetate developer, which I synthesized myself using 5% distilled vinegar and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). I estimate this gives me 82 g of sodium acetate in one liter of solution, to which I add 3 g of tartaric acid. The print color is a warm black/maroon. If I tone with a gold/thiocyanate toner I have from B&S I get an increase in dmax and cool to neutral blacks.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin