Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 921

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Finally start with alternative process

Hello,
    I finally want start to make prints in alternative processes like Carbo , Gum & Cyanotype traditional and new formula

This stuff will be good for start?

Set 3 flat brushes - white synthetic horse hair - 15,60 zł
    Arabic Gum 100 gr - 13,20 zł
    Paper to watercolour, block 18x24 cm, 10 sheets, 300 gram Fabriano Gamma (Polish production, 15% Cotton) - 3x 8,40 zł - 25,20 zł
    Oil-color Reeves 45 ml 4,60 zł / szt: 18,40 zł
    - 330 Deep blue
    - 470 emerald
    - 530 burn umber
    - 650 black

Water paint Van Gogh: 6,70 zł / szt. = 33,50 zł
    - 403 Vandyke brown
    - 508 Prussian blue
    - 701 Ivory black
    - 339 Light oxide red
    - 254 Perm.lemon yellow

RENAISSANCE Tempera 100 ml 4,90 zł / szt : = 9,80 zł
    - 22 / black
    - 20 / bronze van dyck
    Cost of this: 36,5$

Chemistry: cz. -> Clean
    Ammonium Dichromate cz. - 100g
    Potassium Dichromate cz. - 100g
    Metabisulphite potassium cz. - 250g
    Potassium ferricyanide K3[Fe(CN)6] - 250g cz.
    Ammonium iron(III) citrate - 250g.cz.
    Ammonium iron(III) oxalate (NH4)3[Fe(C2O4)3].3H2O - 200g cz.
    NiSO4 cz. - 100g.
    Thymol - 100g.cz.
    Cost of Chemistry: 141zł = 44,7$

I want make for this Digital Negs from film scans and my Digital Camera ( don't kill me for this) on Canon Pixia iP3000 printer.
    I don't have a LF Camera

Konrad Sadowski

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Konrad,

I haven't done carbo or gum, but cyanotype. If you start with just cyanotype, you could make prints for a fraction of the price and gain much valuable experience that can be applied to the more complicated carbo and gum processes. Cyanotypes are actually quite elegant in there own right and you could print over it as part of a tri-color gum.

If I am reading your list correctly, the paper you selected is only 15% cotton; you should use a paper that is 100% cotton rag or select one that has been proven to work with the process you are using. For cyanotype, I use Arches Aquarelle Bright White water color paper.

Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Canson Montval will be good for cyanotype?
    hmmmm...
    Arches Fin, Canson, 300 g, 24x32cm, 12 ark. - 39,79zł / 1$=3,15zł
    Fabriano Gamma (15% Cotton) 18x24cm 10ark - 8,40zł
    I have only 300zł for all.. :/
    150zł - Chemistry
    150zł - Papers/paint/pigments/brushes
    :/

A 1000grams of Arabic Gum and 3000ml of destilled water, will be ok ?
    Last edited by SadowskiPL; 06-05-2009 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OK...
    Arabic Gum - 1kg is now in my hands
    In Wednesday, chemistry.

What amount of Water i must add to 1kg of Arabic Gum ( hehehe 1kg = 45zł = 14$ )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SadowskyPL,

Start with Cyanotype, learn how to make negatives (see HybridPhoto and ask there for digital related stuff) then you can use those negatives to make gum prints. Gum is very flexible, by testing you can just find the correct parameter set for printing from Cyanotype negatives. Canson Montval is good for Cyanotypes, it was the first paper I had used. Carbro is a little tricky and I'm not sure if current materials are OK for carbro prints. You can just make carbon prints later, by pouring your own tissue or (hard to you as I figure) purchase ready made tissue from Bostick & Sullivan. That's completely doable. But first train yourself with Cyanotype. It looks simple but you need the discipline to make high quality cyanotypes; it will give you the "modus operandi" useful for many other alt processes, or, if you like; it will tame you and make you ready for more tricky (because of vast amount of parameters) processes like Gum and/or Carbon...

Keep it simple for the first attempts -> if not you may loose yourself in the details.
    Good luck!
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, 1+2 gum+water or 1+3 gum+water are both fine. But, 1+3 is a little thin to my liking; I personally prefer to use 1+2 gum+water... Put Sodium Benzoate (I use a gram per 100g of gum, much less will be enough but I do that for ease; it's hard to weight sub-gram amounts) or Formalin (1-2ml per liter of gum solution is enough) to preserve the gum solution. If you do not, it will rot in a couple of days and smell horrible!

You don't need tempera or oil colors (or acrylics); use tube watercolors or dry pigment...

Best gum paper (especially for starters) is Fabriano Artistico. Unfortunately it's not suitable for Cyanotypes unless you acidify the paper before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See Katharine Thayer's (and Hamish Steward's) sites for gum printing... But don't take all info about gum as absolute; with gum many things depends on your particular materials and working style. You have to test and find the right method that works for you. Read as much as possible!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oil Color is for GumOil process.
    Thanks for tips
    Thymol will be ok for preserve?
    for Cyanotype I want use a New formula.
    The Formalin what i have is Farmaceutical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First do some gum then you'll try gumoil. You can't do nice gumoils without learning gum first. It's a messy process BTW; you spend a lot of paper towels and you get cramps in your hand/fingers while cleaning excess oil paint from the print. I did a couple and decided that I don't like it at all!

Thymol is fine. But since you need an extra chemical (alcohol) to dissolve it (and that's an extra step too), I don't use it. Also it's more expensive to me where I live. Sodium Benzoate and Formalin can be obtained for a song here in Istanbul...

New Cyanotype is very good, but you'll have to use best papers -> it's very finicky when it comes to paper choice. A tip: If you get chemical fogging with your paper of preference, add 2 drops of 40% citric acid per ml of coating solution (don't add citric acid to the stock solution!), probably it will cure the problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ok...
    That steps will be good?
    Cyanotype -> Gum -> GumOil -> Carbo ??

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin