Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,695   Online: 800

Thread: mat for pt/pd

Shooter
    Medium Format

mat for pt/pd

i wonder where/what mat does pt/pd printers prefer? mostly i use ivory mat for my print. how about your guy?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Natural white, 8-ply -- from Light Impressions. I hope to find the equivilent from somewhere else, as Light Impressions can be a bit iffy at times, not to mention expensive shipping.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It depends on the paper used for the Pt/pd print. I usually leave a significant border around the print to show the hand coating artifact. So, I would like the paper and the cover mat to be similar in tone.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just compared several platinum prints made on Arches Platine and Fabriano Artistico White, developed in potassium oxalate and ammonium citrate, to a sample pack from Lodima Archival Materials.

I am not sure how "Natural White" from Light Impressions compares, but I find the one from Bainbridge to be a little too green for my tastes. Natural White is actually classified as a yellow-green on the Nielsen and Bainbridge website, whereas White and Pearl White are considered neutral whites.

For platinum prints I would recommend using "Pearl White." It is just off-white enough to not clash with the soft, warm whites in the prints and it isn't as dark or yellow as something like Antique White, Cream and Ivory.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    At one time or the other, I haave tried al of the boards mentioned by Richard plus a few others.
    I'm with Vaughn. I have never found a board as pleasing as "Natural White" from LI.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i agree with u Joe. I would considered gallery white and natural white as my tone is little warm. thanks for your guy opinions.
    :>

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I do it two ways. One, I use 100% cotton rag pure white 4ply. I use the same board for matt and frame. I leave a 10 mm open boarder to let the black or brown edge show. the second way is to cut the print just like a Azo print and leave a 15mm open boarder to sign and title the print. I like cutting the prints because there is no influence from the darker boarder on how the print should look.

mike andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin