Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,097   Online: 903

Shooter
    Pinhole

Graphite process?

Quick and dumb question:
    Is there a photographic print process involving graphite (i.e. with gum bichromate)? Anybody experimented in that direction?

gm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use graphite with any of the pigment processes. Just buy dry/powdered graphite pigment. For instance, I'm doing casein dichromate test with graphite (because it's the only dry/powder pigment I have on hands). Results are not bad. BTW, the pigment is pretty strong. I figure it can be equally used with gum or carbon too... The pigment has an interesting shine depending the binder and amnt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

There is something called "Anthrocotype." You sprinkle the powder of graphite on top of gelatin (almost like carbon print without any pigment), and then you develop with a brush by removing the graphite where you want the highlights.

I have seen it, and it has velvet like black, and it was beautiful. I think I have the instruction, but in Japanese.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Sounds interesting... I am attracted by graphite because of its graininess. Too bad I am not so confident with Japanese... but I could try using carbon /gum bichromate as a basis.
    How does casein dichromate work? Casein seems to be a very stabile binder (AFAIK from painting).

gm

Shooter
    Pinhole
    BTW, it is ANTHRACOTYPE. It is a dust-on process as you mentioned. Here some info in English:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=PJ8...Cinhem38&hl=en

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Tsuyoshi's suggestion immediately made me think about dusting on process and resinotype <- see those also... But, I'd rather prefer gum or casein since I don't like the idea of sprinkling pulverized pigment particles -> I don't have a dedicated studio + I love my lungs! Each to their own...

Casein works pretty much like gum (general principles are the same), only, it's faster and it can hold much more pigment. But, IME it's more opaque/staining compared to gum. You have to mix the binder per each session since it goes bad quickly, you can't store it like gum solution.

To prepare the binder put 0.8-1.0g casein into 10ml water, wait 5 minutes then put 4-6 drops of 25% ammonia and stir vigorously. You'll get a pearlescent/milky binder. I use it by adding pigment and diluting 1+1 with dichromate. You may need the help of 2-3ml 25% ammonia per 2000ml development water; it doesn't develop in still plain water (it does by using a brush or water sprays/jets).

I suggest that you take the gum route first, it's more subtle / refined to me... (Personal preference.)

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you are right. I was just spelling from my memory...

It did not seem to be "difficult," just messy. Let me see if I can locate the photocopy of the instruction. I can give a brief instruction on how to when I can find it.

Warmly,
    tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by gattu marrudu View Post
    BTW, it is ANTHRACOTYPE. It is a dust-on process as you mentioned. Here some info in English:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=PJ8...Cinhem38&hl=en
    Last edited by Shinnya; 06-16-2009 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Resinotype looks amazing. I guess graphite would be a perfect match, but I will follow your advice to start from gum bichromate, since I have no experience with that yet. Tsuyoshi, it would be great to have the Anthracotype instructions. Cannot wait to try it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi gattu, to my understanding the grinding of colophony/pigment mixture is very important. I'd do by grinding rosin, then dissolve it in alcohol, add the pigment and stir, then leave it alone to let the alcohol evaporate. Finally I'd pass the hardened mixture through coffee grinder twice.

But, this is something that should be asked to Alberto Novo really...

Regards,
    Loris.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin