Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,292   Online: 903

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Ferric Oxalate solutions from B&S are yellow. But I bought the solutions pre-mixed.
    Diane

Halak 41

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yellow yes, but transparent. This morning there is 1/2 inch of opaque yellow sludge in the bottom of the jar and 1 and a half inches of yellow transparent fluid on top. Maybe I'll try adding a bit more oxalic acid, if that helps it dissolve better.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never run into any inconsistency in having B&S delivered to Toronto. UPS expedited and taxes have always been consistent and I've never had to pay any duties. One trap is UPS "cheap" you end up having a brokerage charge on top that makes it no less expensive than expedited.

Sly,

Are you sure that you are heating the solution up enough? I make sure my solution is about 70 C before pouring in the ferric oxalate. A microwave makes this so much easier.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wasn't sure if it would be safe in a microwave. The water was room temperature when I added the powder, the heat came later. Does that make a difference? I've got it back in the double boiler now, with an extra gram of oxalic acid. Last night I held the temperature at 70C (155F). Tonight I'm trying at 85C (about 190F).

I've sent an email to the supplier to ask advice as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After all that mucking around, I'm sure you will find that if you just give it several days, it will go into solution on its own. At that time, you will make a fresh batch, for fear all the heating, added chems, and what not have spoiled or altered your FO beyond use.

It's safe in a microwave. You really should start with hot water before putting the ferric oxalate in. If you do have to reheat, do not boil!!

Just a note. I've found that you should only heat the ferric oxalate solution once to disolve the powder into solution. My experience has shown that multiple heatings will cause the ferric oxalate to break down and a massive amount of grain to appear in your images.

When I make up quantities of liquid ferric oxalate for sale, I measure out distilled water in a glass beaker, which I then stick in a microwave oven until boiling. I remove the beaker from the microwave and add the powdered ferric oxalate and stir for a minute or two.

I don't have problems disolving all of the powder using this method, but if I did, I would allow all of the undisolved particles to settle to the bottom, and decant the solution off the top.

This is the first I've heard of JD photochem, so I'm not familiar with their product. Are they manufaturing their own, or re-selling someone elses ferric oxalate?

Dana, as far as I know, JDPhotochem does not manufacture ferric oxalate. A lot of times when I order certain chemicals, they have to get them from a supplier. That includes ferric oxalate. JDPhotochem is in Quebec, Canada.

http://www.jdphotochem.com/

Their website hasn't been updated for quite a few years...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    .... I measure out distilled water in a glass beaker, which I then stick in a microwave oven until boiling. I remove the beaker from the microwave and add the powdered ferric oxalate and stir for a minute or two.
    This is method I have used and find it works very well. I shake rather than stir...and may have to repeat 1 more time, but have not had to reheat since changing to this method of using very hot distilled water.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin