Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,533   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Dana and everyone for your advice. I tried again. No luck.

I tossed the concotion that has been sitting undissolved for a week and started from scratch
    Distilled water - heated in microwave to just boiling, premeasured ferric oxalate and oxalic acid added, stirred briefly, poured into glass bottle and then shaken non-stop for 1/2 hour (until it had completely cooled).

It's been sitting for over an hour now and the sludge is settling. Bottom half of the contents is sludge, the top half liquid. Doesn't seem to be any more dissolved than the first batch.

I'll decant the stuff on top and try a test print, but it really looks like most of the ferric oxalate did not dissolve.

I keep wondering if the formua I have is all wrong. Either that, or there's something wrong with the ferric oxalate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i wonder how long can we keep #1?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read about 6 months - if it is refrigerated between uses. The ferric oxalate I bought last summer (premixed) worked fine through the fall. It was useless in March.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I've read about 6 months - if it is refrigerated between uses. The ferric oxalate I bought last summer (premixed) worked fine through the fall. It was useless in March.
    When you say it was useless, what happened? Did you try to print and get nothing? What happens when FO has died, so to speak? I'd really like to know.
    Diane

Halak 41

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exposures were much longer (with same lights) than before. 20+ minutes rather than 5-10 as previously. Prints were flat, impossible to get any contrast to them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What you need is Ferric III Oxalate. What you might have bought is Ferrous II Oxalate which is nearly insoluble in water and not light sensitive at all.
    Last edited by Wolfgang AM; 11-09-2009 at 06:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin