Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,559   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ferric Oxalate 1 - yellow???

Previously I have used Bostick and Sullivan premixed solutions in little brown bottles for Pt/Pd printing, Na2 method. The ferric oxalate solution from them was slightly coloured, but clear. I ordered powdered chemicals from JD Photochem this time. I have just mixed up 15 grams of Ferric Oxalate with 1 gram of Oxalic Acid and 55 ml of water - as per recipe in CZ Anderson's book "Alternative Processes Condensed". The FO powder is a very pretty yellow colour, and the "solution" is also a very pretty yellow colour. It looks like paint. I don't think any of the powder dissolved - and suspect it will all settle out. Does it need to be heated? Have I got the wrong formula?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ferric Oxalate is a pain to dissolve and you need to keep it around 150 degrees for quite some time. Continue to agitate and eventually it will dissolve.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Get one of the plug-in coffee mug warmers(one of those flat ones with a cord...) -- put the bottle on top of that. Shake frequently (loosening the cap after shaking each time) ...it will dissolve in less than an hour.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    sounds like a pain, let B&S do it and get a consistent mix every time. I want everything the same every time I have to order Fe.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if you've seen the other thread about ordering stuff from the States for delivery in Canada - the crap shoot of delivery charges, duty charges, taxes etc. That's a pain too. (Aside - B&S have been very good in the past about making sure it got here as inexpensively as possible.) I ordered a few hundred dollars worth of chemicals, paper, and other stuff last summer to be sent to a friends in Washington. That worked fine, but Washington is not a place I get to often.
    I try to order within Canada as often as possible.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Sly,

I have ferric oxalate from JD Photochem, too. It will go into solution but only with great effort. I reheat it in the bottle and then shake the hell out of it until it goes in. The next day if there is some sediment at the bottom of the bottle, I heat up again and give it a good shake. It'll go in eventually. The ferric oxalate from B&S is far superior and goes in with less effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most iron compounds are yellow, as are most of their solutions. More concentrated solutions are more decidedly yellow, but all are pretty distinctly so. I'm not sure what effect the oxalic acid would have, except to dissolve any stray hydroxide that might have formed.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I dug out the double boiler, put it on the stove and fiddled until I had water at 160 degrees. I put in the jar of FO, warmed it up and shook it alot, put it back in the water when it felt like it was cooling down and repeated the process, over and over for about two and a half hours. As I sit here typing I'm watching the undissolved yellow powder slowly settle to the bottom. There is some dissolved in the water, but it looks to me like the majority is settling out.

Bedtime now. Should I try again tomorrow? Use a higher temperature? IS THE FORMULA WRONG? Throw it all away and give up?

PS I think the oxalic acid is supposed to be a preservative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used only B&S ferric oxalate, which dissolves completely overnight. I just mix the solution w/ room temperature distilled water, stir/shake well every couple of hours until I get to sleep, it's completely clear in the morning. Some prefer to add small amnts. of oxalic acid and/or EDTA to facilitate dissolution - which indeed does so...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's an exercise in patience.

I used some from Artcraft Chemicals, two days later, completely dissolved. I gently warmed and stirred it in my pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin