Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,552   Online: 978

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Argyrotype is so-o-o picky about paper, but I've had success with Fabriano Artistico EW after acidifying it. Bienfang 360 translucent vellum works well (without acidification) if you can handle the thin paper in your workflow.

Sam Wang gave me a good tip: dilute the argy solution 1:1 with distilled water before brushing it on the paper. It helps with bleeding in the clearing bath...made all the difference.

Also, toning argys right after the clearing bath helps keep the tone from fading in the fix.

But, there is no doubt that argyrotype can be one of the most frustrating processes...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I just tried EPSON Premium Presentation Paper - Matte Double Sided. Beautiful results!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You need mad skills to make an Angrytype.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    You need mad skills to make an Angrytype.
    Thats a good name for it, my recent attemps with the paper I have on hand have been very maddening.

Angrytype! That sums it up so far.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it works it works very nice but if you have troubles with Argyrotype just leave it aside and go for Vandyke. Just pay attention to the following:

* Rinse the print at least 2 minutes (total) in two successive baths of 1% citric acid to eliminate all unreacted iron ions. Only then use tap water. (That you're certain is not alkaline and doesn't contain iron impurities!) Do not reuse the citric acid first baths, mix fresh for each print. (You don't have to be exact; weight as kitchen recipe such as say... 1 teaspoon per 1000ml...)

* Always tone your Vandykes with gold, platinum or palladium before fixing.

* Do not overfix; 2 minutes in 2% plain anhydrous sodium thiosulfate is more than enough. (Refresh fixer often though! For instance, I don't use the same fixer for more than 3 prints...)

* Wash thoroughly.

That's it, no need to complicate things more than you need to. I like the idea, but I won't do Argyrotypes again -> I'm convinced prints processed as above are as achival as (if not more!) any well done Argyrotype...
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 07-16-2009 at 02:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin