Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,769   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Paper for Argryotypes?

Hi All,

I was recently given two Bostick & Sullivan Argyrotype kits(minus instructions). I loaned one of my books out to a friend, but as I recall Argryotypes require very specific paper requirements.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a good paper to try? I have been doing Kallitypes for a while, but need to order more paper. If I can get a paper that can be used for both that would be great.

Thanks for the advice.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Paper most important

Hi Gary

You are correct, Argyrotype is most particular about paper. I have been using DIY sensitizer since Feb this year and have had bother finding useful paper. I love Kallitype on COT320 developed with sodium acetate but was hoping for a longer tonal range. Argyrotype doesn't work on COT320 or Platinotype. I suggest you start with Whatman CP paper (from New York Central), lovely rich brown dark tones and cheap too. I have tried the new Weston diploma parchment but can't recommend it because the image doesn't stick to the paper during washing. I am now using Buxton but it is not exactly working and so expensive that testing is out of the question.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your Argyrotype adventures ... John

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

PAper for Argyrotype

Try Lenox 100 from Daniel Smith. It also works well with Kallitypes and palladium prints. For argyrotype, you might play around with adding tween and/or precoating the paper with 5% oxalic acid.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    John & John

Thanks for the information. I finally got my book back and searched around a little bit and come to the conclusion Argyrotypes are almost too finicky but I will give the Lenox 100 a try.

Thank you both!

Gary

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yeah- I keep wanting to try it, but every time I re-read the argyrotype entry in Christopher James' book I get discouraged too!

[btw- love your signature]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found it works well on Rising Stonehenge without any treatment to the paper. It does not work on Platine though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks to all of you!!

Wasnt Rising Stonehenge discontinued a while ago or is my memory just playing tricks on me.

Too much sushi doing bad things to my brain maybe.

Gary

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    Thanks to all of you!!

Wasnt Rising Stonehenge discontinued a while ago or is my memory just playing tricks on me.

Too much sushi doing bad things to my brain maybe.

Gary
    Fabriano 5 works with Agyrotype.

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm

Source for Fabriano 5

My usual search sources (Daniel Smith, Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama) don't carry Fabriano 5. Can you suggest a United States vendor?
    Thank you,
    Harlan
    hchapman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the B&S argyrotype kit on Cranes Cover (I know it has another name, but that's what the label on the package says) with what seem to me to be good results (YMMV - I had never seen an argyrotype in person before I did one myself). I know I need to try some other papers but have not done so yet. Time to go paper shopping...
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin