Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,985   Online: 830

Shooter
    Medium Format

One drop of Ferric vs. one drop of Pd

Here's a question for all you chemists out there.
    I'm making Pd prints using the Na2 method. I use the small droppers to measure out the chemistry. I use plastic droppers from B&S.
    I am quite sure that the volume of one drop of ferric is less than one drop of Palladium. I suppose it has to do with the viscosity difference. I have been adding one extra drop of ferric for every 10 drops of each. For example: 10 drops of palladium with 11 drops of ferric. 50 drops palladium, 55 drops of ferric....
    This seems to work, but can someone tell me the effect on a print of adding more ferric in relation to the amount of palladium?
    Has anyone else had the same experience with the droppers?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've noticed the same thing - I was actually talking to B&S yesterday and am kicking myself for not asking them about this. I do 13 dops of feox to 12 drops of pd solution - but would appreciate hearing from others....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always use even amounts, and don't notice anything lacking in prints using up to 3ml total solution.

As long as they are the same exact-type dropper and plastic only, all should be fine...

Didn't Dick Arentz say in his book that normal photographic errors could be up to 10% and there'd be no problem/difference? (I'm paraphrasing from memory here...)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you're worried about precise measurement then you could always use a glass syringe with the appropriate scales marked. I believe that 1 drop of water is approximately 0.05cc in volume (I'll let you do the maths from there). Of course, if you want to learn and understand the nuances of Pt/Pd printing then you should also experiment and share what you discover...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    I always use even amounts, and don't notice anything lacking in prints using up to 3ml total solution.

As long as they are the same exact-type dropper and plastic only, all should be fine...

Didn't Dick Arentz say in his book that normal photographic errors could be up to 10% and there'd be no problem/difference? (I'm paraphrasing from memory here...)

I have two sizes of dropper bottles. The larger dropper has a smaller orifice and delivers 21 drops/ml while the smaller dropper has a larger orifice and delivers 18 drops/ml

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Davenport; 06-20-2009 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: flunked arithmetic

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin