Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,814   Online: 820

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Coloring

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also hated SpotPens, but I love the Marshal oil pencils. I've been handcoloring Pt/Pd prints for a while now to great effect. I must admit that I sometimes use them simply to rescue an underprinted neg, but oftentimes I just like the effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aggie, you're more than welcome. I have posted one of my early attempts at hand colouring in the Technical Gallery. This is a picture of my neice that was done with Marshall's Oils. The print was toned before I used the oils and the background was left untouched.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started handcoloring seven or eight years ago, before I ever picked up the camera for myself. I was handcoloring for other photographers (yuck.)

Personally, I despise spot pens for handcoloring. Might as well use a magic marker. I've use peerless watercolors, and I like them for some things, but they are much harder to use until you get the hang of them, and they're a whole lot harder to fix if you make a mistake, or just plain want to start over. I dislike pencils except for fine detail, because they can't be layered very effectively without spraying the print in between.

Nope, for me, good old Marshall's oils are best. I never have to let the print dry between layers, I just put it down gently and work carefully. I don't handcolor much any more, but I used to do tons of it, and I always finished a print i one session. I didn't use Marlene, because a grey kneadable rubber eraser does the same thing, and much more neatly and precisely.

My background is in oil painting, so that came in very handy when learning to handcolor. Still, with oils, it's a very easy skill to learn. Of course, like any art, it's quite another thing to completely master the technique.

Incidentally, you can find just about anything you want to know at handcolor.com.

- CJ

Incidentally, you can find just about anything you want to know at handcolor.com.

- CJ[/quote]

Cheryl - Thank you, that is just what I was looking for.

I am interested in just doing a small area in muted translucent color. I have seen prints that had so little color added that you had to look twice to be sure there was color added but on second look you realize that the unexpected color is what grabbed you attention. If you can visualize what I am saying, what is the best way to get there?

I am probably looking for "the pastel selective bits" that Aggie apparently doesn't like.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your comments Aggie. Where did you find pointed Q-Tips? I would agree with everyone else that the Marshall's Oils are very easy and nice to work with but north of the border here you can almost count on paying twice or two and a half times the price you would pay in the states. This is what makes the Peerless Water colours so inviting.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One problem I had with hand coloured prints was trying to put some type of protective coating over the print after it was coloured. I have the Marshall's sprays but the colours (red mostly) seem to splatter when the spray hits the surface. I haven't tried anything since. Any suggestions? Should I even bother to coat a print after colouring?
    Brian McDowell

As I am doing a lot of reading right now about hand coloring I just read something that may be of help.

It was emphasized that you should use a couple of light coatings of "workable fixative" as one heavy one can cause bleeding. Also that if a coating of "final fix" is applied before using the fixative, you may loose the entire thing.

To be honest I don't know if this is true or not but just wanted to give you the heads up.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob, the bleeding of the colours was exactly what I was getting so I had stopped using a protectant spray altogether. One thing I have noticed about using the pencils over the oils, was that the colour seems to fade a bit over the years.
    Brian McDowell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin