Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,942   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solargraphy????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Solargraphy????

I found a flickr photostream full of fabulous solagraphy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/foundph...7612887637912/

Why does bw paper make a color image? Can someone please explain how/why this works? Wouldn't the image degrade once you took it out of the camera/scanned it/contact printed it? How do you preserve the image?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    You don't preserve the image; scanning it or photographing it is the only way. If you developed them, you'd end up with a black piece of paper. If you fixed them, you'd end up with nothing. The images don't degrade immediately, however, because it takes a tremendous amount of light to print B&W paper out like that.

As for why they make a color (or pseudo-color image, anyway), I have no idea, but I'd like to know myself. Solargraphs are pretty cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    really cool. No idea how it works, though :/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I put some scissors on a test strip and exposed it for a while for an image to form. Threw it in the fixer and the image faded, but did not dissapear. I think if I gave it extra exposure and then fixed I might be able to get a permanant solartype. Defenately worth a try.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I put some scissors on a test strip and exposed it for a while for an image to form. Threw it in the fixer and the image faded, but did not dissapear. I think if I gave it extra exposure and then fixed I might be able to get a permanant solartype. Defenately worth a try.

I found scrap sheet of Slavic Unibrom paper in a folder with some crooked, improperly exposed, and otherwise ruined prints. that sheet apparently had a sheet of 35mm negatives on it while I was working in the darkroom. there's a faint green outline around the sprockets. It's kinda cool. I probably wouldnt have thought about it if I hadnt read this thread first

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lumen prints sound similar to this but you can fix them usually and if not, you tone before you fix to help keep an image on the paper.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lumen print can be quite colorful on their own. I got colors ranging from blue/purple over green to pink on one sheet of paper. Very colorful B&W print

The reason for the colors is the size of the silver grains in the paper. With small grain giving reddish and large grain giving bluish colors. This must also apply to the colors in solargraphy.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you toned a solargraph, wouldn't it screw it up?
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Vary Interesting thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello EASmithV,looked at your flickr site and there is some very good and interesting photo's there you have.About color in B&w paper not to long ago I had mistakenly filled a tray with hypo clear in stead of fixer,not knowing what I'd done went ahead and made a print. Turned on the light with the print still in what I thought was fixer and saw a brilliant blue print turn black before my eyes. Haven't tried repeating the mistake,must be something in the hypo clear that gave the print a very blue color.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin