Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,723   Online: 899

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice to see that some more people enjoyed looking at it. After reading up a bit on the process (mainly the things Emil Mayer wrote) I find it interesting that the delicate brush handling he describes is not as delicate and paper towels are used in the clip, which seemed to be a no-no according to him.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the days of Emil Mayer emulsions were far more fragile than today. I have always used super coated papers for bromoil and Joy was a student of mine. One of my bromoil teachings: "Let the paper know who's the boss!" lol.

Cheers,
    Gene

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Gene, thanks for the info. I think I've even got 2 100 packs of fineprint VC in 5x7 that I can use to practice on. And I think it'll be a while before I get around to using color. Thanks again!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, I just finished inking 4 bromoils. These were the first 4 I've ever done, and I think the first one was the easiest. I can tell right off the bat that I'm going to need to get some brushes that don't shed like crazy. I pretty much ruined the second one trying to get a very stubborn hair off of it, and the last two have tiny hairs that I was afraid to try and remove before the ink dries. But I'll say one thing; I have never felt the amazement I did when I leaned back and looked at the first one when I finished. It truly is a beautiful process, and oh so much fun to do! Gene, if I can pick your brain for one more thing, what type of brushes do you use, and how much hair loss is acceptable?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    New brushes shed far more than they do after some use. Most will shed some. I normally wait a day to clean off the hairs. Then they'll usually float off if the bromoil is placed in water. If not, they're easy to coax off with a water color brush. I mainly use 1" round boars hair basting brushes from Williams-Sonoma. Many prefer to trim these to a stag foot shape. I use 'em untrimmed, as they come from the store. Not sure that Williams-Sonoma still carries these brushes as they are not on their web site. My local Williams-Sonoma still has these, however. They sell for about $10.00. My friend, Maija McDougal, Pres. of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain, prefers inexpensive shaving brushes which she trims with scissors. Home Depot has a Ralph Lauren faux finishing brush. It's stag foot and about $12.00. It's fine for bromoil. My manual, Bromoil 101, devotes several pages to brushes. Don't mean to spam. Got it?

Cheers,
    Gene

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Gene, thanks so much for all the tips and info. Where can I find a copy of your book? Amazon has it as out of print, but I'd dearly love to pick it up. Thanks again! I can already tell that I'm going to absolutely love bromoil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Paul, why don't you show us some of your work? And as always, Gene, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

By the way, do a google search for Joy Goldkinds bromoils. Great stuff indeed.

EDIT: Just saw your bromoil in the gallery. Sweet...
    Last edited by Jerevan; 06-24-2009 at 04:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW, Joy's use of hard brayers is not the method that I use. Essentially my bromoils are produced with brushes only. Occasionly I will use a soft foam decorator's brayer to even out the inking. Bromoil is a different strokes for different folks process. Anything that works goes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting video!

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin