Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,374   Online: 887

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very very cool.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only thing i now struggle with is INK. I live in the high-tech country Norway, where nobody sells or use ink any more. It seems like its totaly gone. Any brand name i can search for on google? Please help

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Charbonnel black ink, I think, has been mentioned once or twice in the threads about bromoil. In the older literature, there are instructions to make your own ink, but that may be a bit overdoing it, I suppose.

EDIT: Can be found here, http://www.ibwahlstrom.se/epages/IBWAHLSTROM.sf for example.
    Last edited by Jerevan; 08-31-2009 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    The only thing i now struggle with is INK. I live in the high-tech country Norway, where nobody sells or use ink any more. It seems like its totaly gone. Any brand name i can search for on google? Please help
    Bostick-Sullivan carry a number of them. See this link:
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=41

By the way they are a Sponsor of APUG. It would be nice to send some business their way for their support of this place.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice video.

It raised three questions for me though:

- Can I use a regular potassium ferricyanide bleach for the bleaching step, as I already have that from my two bath sepia toner?

- What kind and brand of tape is she using to tape down the matrix onto the glass before inking? I was surprised to see the tape come of so easily without damaging the paper. Is this is a special tape type developed for this purpose?

- I noticed it uses lithographic inks? How do I know if the inks are durable and will withstand time? Many lithographic inks are not designed to withstand time, since they are only used in applications (like newspapers) that do not have a long lifespan. With classic oil paints, there is a classification system for the durability of the color pigment and resistance to fading. Is there a similar system for the inks used in bromoil / lithographic inks?

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 08-31-2009 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    - What kind and brand of tape is she using to tape down the matrix onto the glass before inking? I was surprised to see the tape come of so easily without damaging the paper. Is this is a special tape type developed for this purpose?

Marco

Her tape is white, so I don't know the answer that question. But 3M makes a painter's tape for masking areas for sharp lines in painting. It is a Royal blue color. That might very well work. I know that it doesn't rip paper or cardboard to shreds when you remove it but it does hold somewhat. Its got more stick to it than a Post-it Note but less than regular masking tape.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post
    I'm using Kentmere fineprint VC fine grain matt (semi matt) - not warmtone.
    Also Slavich Matt - grade 2
    Hi Gene, What do you think about Ilford MGIV Fiber based Matte? Should that also work? It is cold toned I believe, or at least it's not warm. I've got a ton of this already and my order at Freestyle is too huge right now to add any more papers but I do want to give this a try otherwise. Would I be wasting my time with this paper? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    Her tape is white, so I don't know the answer that question. But 3M makes a painter's tape for masking areas for sharp lines in painting. It is a Royal blue color. That might very well work.
    Thanks, that's helpful. However, I would still like answers to the other questions as well. If anyone has some more info...

In addition, I went to an art supply shop here in town, and noticed they had basically three different types of ink:

- Lino ink, which seems to be water based and therefore is probably unusable.
    - Oil based etching ink
    - A sort of general oil based lithographic ink

If I remember it well, the owner told me the etching ink was a bit more `sticky`, while the lithographic ink was a bit more ´stiff´. Any pros/cons against using one or the other?

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Thanks, that's helpful. However, I would still like answers to the other questions as well. If anyone has some more info...

In addition, I went to an art supply shop here in town, and noticed they had basically three different types of ink:

- Lino ink, which seems to be water based and therefore is probably unusable.
    - Oil based etching ink
    - A sort of general oil based lithographic ink

If I remember it well, the owner told me the etching ink was a bit more `sticky`, while the lithographic ink was a bit more ´stiff´. Any pros/cons against using one or the other?

Marco
    Did you see my reply above where I suggested going to Bostick-Sullivan site? They have one of the inks Gene Laughter recommends and whats more is they have it at a very nice price. I saw a British site that has the same exact ink for 23 British pounds. That's like something like 4 times the price when you consider exchange rate. The brand is Graphic Chemical and Ink.

All the books and articles I read say stiff ink is necessary for at the minimum the first layer(s) applied. I've got my order in today, awaiting delivery, so I can't say from experience but hey, all the pro's say stiff ink so.. I think that means something!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    All the books and articles I read say stiff ink is necessary for at the minimum the first layer(s) applied. I've got my order in today, awaiting delivery, so I can't say from experience but hey, all the pro's say stiff ink so.. I think that means something!
    OK, thanks, that is one point of my list. I still wonder about the possibility to use a ferricyanide bleach instead of a dichromate based one.

I have tried some Google searches on this, but there seems to be very little information regarding ferricyanide bleaches in bromoil. I find this strange, since I keep reading dichromate based bleaches are quite unhealthy and must be used with care, while ferricyanide (as long as not mixed with strong acids), are relatively safe. In addition, if I read it well, dichromate bleaches seem to clear less easy, while thorough washing easily removes excess ferricyanide?

As you understand, I have never used a bichromate bleach before, but have used ferricyanide bleach as part of my two bath odourless thiourea sepia toner.

Lastly, if I would use ferricyanide bleach, is it necessary to "fix" the print before (or maybe even after?) inking? I do know that some part of the bleached image is unstable silverhalogenide, so fixing before inking will change the image, but I am unsure if fixing is really necessary or how big the problem really is...
    My website

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin