Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,395   Online: 890

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm not sure what you are going to do with your brush but a 1st quality brush used by traditional paper sizers, people whom size paper for printmakers, etc, would be one sound choice for some tasks.

In the same vein, a 1st quality brush used by japanese traditional woodblock artists to moisten paper in preparation for printing would be good as well.

Either would be well made so as not to shed hairs and to load and release their load in an even manner. IIRC, these are made with sheep wool and goat hair and there is no metal in their construction. If you're serious about getting a good brush, be careful to not get a brush made for amateur printmakers, while well made, they are not the same as the better tool.

Here is an article that will point you to a brush-maker of quality tools in Japan. He will be better able to advise you as to what you will want.

http://woodblock.com/encyclopedia/en...09/008_09.html

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post
    NHK Bi no Tsubo isnt shown anymore as far as I know.
    ???

Could it depend upon where you are located?
    In the Nagano area

Try...

Fridays 10:00 (Education)
    Fridays 11:05 (Varaity)
    Sundays 0:15 (= very early Monday morning) (Education)
    Saturdays 5:15 (Varaity)

(all times based on 00:00-23:59, broadcast day begins at 05:00)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eli griggs View Post
    I'm not sure what you are going to do with your brush but a 1st quality brush used by traditional paper sizers, people whom size paper for printmakers, etc, would be one sound choice for some tasks.
    Cheers
    About sizers brushes, other than David's (other) article, do you have any more information on these brushes?

Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    ???

Could it depend upon where you are located?
    In the Nagano area

Try...

Fridays 10:00 (Education)
    Fridays 11:05 (Varaity)
    Sundays 0:15 (= very early Monday morning) (Education)
    Saturdays 5:15 (Varaity)

(all times based on 00:00-23:59, broadcast day begins at 05:00)

Hi Ray.

I am up in Niigata and they changed the times on the program, then it disappeared. Sad to say, it was pretty good.

But thanks for the info.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ray, I do not. I don't use these papers in general and I don't size my own paper. I suggest you look at the 'library' at Barenforum.org and read about traditional japanese printmaking in some of the older books there. IIRC, some of them give some detailed descriptions of the tools various craftsmen used in making the paper, sizing it, etc.

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nooo. it's a wrong patch!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by coriana6jp View Post

My other concern is the Richeson brush has metal in the handle & I am not sure thats a good idea with kallitypes. Some people have said avoid metal in the brushes at all cost, so it gives me a reason to pause.

Thanks.

Gary

If it helps, I've been using the same Richeson brush with kallitypes for several years now with no problems. I clear the brush with citric acid and then final rinse with distilled water after each printing session. Still good as new.

Not to be too self serving, but I have to give a plug to the Sterling 6014S synthetic sable brush which Bostick & Sullivan sells. Excellent results, comparable to Richeson, but around 1/3 the price. The 2" version will easily coat 8x10" and 11x14" images, and use around 25% less solution than the typical hake brush.

We sell the 2" for $14.95, but you could also probably find one at a good art supply store for about the same.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dana,

I am about to place an order with you guys, I might just give one of them a try.

Thanks.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I started using Hake for my palladium prints, and I love the stroke they leave on the edge of the coating (if you care about such stuff ) - but they absorb too much precious coating. I also experienced some detachment of the coating from the paper after rinsing, which I didn't have with a syntetic brush.
    Then I tried the Da Vinci Cosmotop flat wash (synthetic) and it works perfectly. Thin profile, absorbs very little when moist at the right point, very smooth. I don't know if you can find at in your location.
    Hmm, human hair brushes? What for? Voodooburytype?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin