Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,166   Online: 1088
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3

    Cyanotype on Ceramic Tiles?

    I read somewhere that cyanotypes can be done on glazed ceramic tiles if you coat them with gelatin sizing first. Is this true?

    If so, what kind of gelatin sizing should I use?

  2. #2
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,708
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by km8891 View Post
    I read somewhere that cyanotypes can be done on glazed ceramic tiles if you coat them with gelatin sizing first. Is this true?

    If so, what kind of gelatin sizing should I use?
    You not only need a gelatin sizing but you need a chrome alum hardener.

    I suggest the following:

    10 g 250 BI photo grade gelatin
    90 g Distilled Water at RT

    Mix and gradually raise to 40 deg C.

    Add 5 ml of 10% Chrome Alum solution.

    Add a suitable wetting agent if needed if tests show problems coating.

    Spread on clean, grease free tile at about 10 - 15 ml / foot square.

    Allow to cure for about 1 week.

    PE

  3. #3
    bobwysiwyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI U.S.A.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,537
    Images
    3
    Has anyone a picture of one of these after doing it? I'd sure like to see one.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

    Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You not only need a gelatin sizing but you need a chrome alum hardener.

    I suggest the following:

    10 g 250 BI photo grade gelatin
    90 g Distilled Water at RT

    Mix and gradually raise to 40 deg C.

    Add 5 ml of 10% Chrome Alum solution.

    Add a suitable wetting agent if needed if tests show problems coating.

    Spread on clean, grease free tile at about 10 - 15 ml / foot square.

    Allow to cure for about 1 week.

    PE
    Thanks!
    Is there a website that sells the Chrome Alum Hardener and the 250 BI Photo Grade Gelatin?
    I might need it done in less than a week... is there some way to speed the process?

  5. #5
    dwdmguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Freehold, NJ
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    819
    This is VERY interesting to me.
    Can someone please refer me to the basics of this? What I mean is that I have never made my own "Mixes" such as the one your describing. I've always been a premix developer guy.
    As described above I wouldn't know where to start for example is this done in the darkroom when placing one's own emulsion on a "product"? So, a reference of how to start from scratch and where one would get such chems?
    Thank you much.

  6. #6
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,708
    Images
    65
    I get mine at the Photographers Formulary, an APUG sponsor.

    PE

  7. #7
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    This is VERY interesting to me.
    Can someone please refer me to the basics of this? What I mean is that I have never made my own "Mixes" such as the one your describing. I've always been a premix developer guy.
    As described above I wouldn't know where to start for example is this done in the darkroom when placing one's own emulsion on a "product"? So, a reference of how to start from scratch and where one would get such chems?
    Thank you much.
    Hi Tom,

    Cyanotype is one of the emulsions that fall under the heading "Alternative Process". Alt process is typically contact printed from large format negatives using ultraviolet light. Other kinds of alt process are Platinum, Van Dyke, etc. Since the emulsions are coated on paper by hand, some times people get the idea to paint them on other surfaces, objects, etc. The results and success of such procedures varies. The formula being discussed here is a kind of "sizing" meant to help the cyanotype emulsion bind to the surface in question.

    A two solution kit for cyanotypes can be found at the Photographers Formulary website. It's the easiest and least hazardous of alt processes. It can be coated in subdued tungsten light, and is developed with water and a hint of peroxide. The instructions are in the kit.

    You need a big negative, the kit, paper or receptor that is good for the process, a piece of glass or a contact frame to hold the neg against the paper/receptor, and the sun. The resultant image is blue, but can be bleached and toned. I have an article on that here:

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...ant-blues.html
    Last edited by JBrunner; 06-30-2009 at 06:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I get mine at the Photographers Formulary, an APUG sponsor.

    PE
    Another question:
    Would I need the Gelatin Sizing and Chrome Alum if I wanted to cyanotype on a ceramic tile that was only fired once (bisqueware)?

  9. #9
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,708
    Images
    65
    IDK, but probably.

    Sorry.

    PE



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin