Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,903   Online: 883
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Why hybrid?

  1. #21
    SuzanneR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,765
    Images
    140
    Sean, I think, always regretted adding the gray area to this site, and to that end felt the Hyrbid site as a stand alone would better serve those using a hybrid workflow. APUG is at its best when it stays on its focus, and the most logical line to draw is keeping the topic purely about analog processes. I'd agree there is some great work being made with a hybrid workflow that we don't see here. If I want to see it, though, I know where to look.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,664
    Images
    91
    Sometimes the hybrid-analog separation is awkward, everyone recognizes that. I agree with others here that the rigid line is appropriate for the site in general. However, there is a hybird area completely within APUG, which is the Hybrid social group started by gr82bart. Any sort of hybrid discussion you like is permitted there.

  3. #23
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,850
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Bill,

    Are you lobbying McDonalds to offer take-out pizza too?

    APUG is a business that has a successful product offering, analog only all the time.

    If there were a big market for what you were asking for hybridphoto.com would be a rocking place too.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I don't think I would want to live in a world where slavery was the normal, where women didn't have the right to vote . . . These were tired old arguments that had been beat to death.
    Your comparison tactic here is silly.

    I'd say there is at least a small difference between championing human rights and discussing the finer points of a human pastime or vocation.

    Truly here on APUG the big limitations are only the basic topic and the expectation of civility.

    Similarly, if you went to a "Slow Food" group site they might get irked if you suggested recipes using a microwave or convection oven.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I am of the opinion that the folks who digitize a negative for printing their alternative process images have much to offer to folks on APUG ...
    I am sure this is true Bill.

    I'm also sure that, at least for me, once a scanner is part of the process I've lost interest.

    In my view, a scanner is just a specialized digital camera.

    Using a scanner to make a print introduces a disparate set of skills and tools and problems that have no bearing on analog photography.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    17,361
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    9
    when the grey area was here
    there were never ending flame wars.
    EVEN with the "ignore forum" option activated
    it didn't really matter because flames followed
    people from place to place, and the nastiness polluted
    apug in general. it's too bad people can't play nice ...

  5. #25
    Ken N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Creston and Newton, Iowa.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    382
    Images
    8
    Bill, I recon that between the two of us, if we wanted to wake up HybridPhoto we probably could. But the question is "do we want to?"

    These forums are "communities". It is so frustrating that in the alt-process world that you can freely discuss 90% of everything involved, but should one person say "hey, I have this one negative with a scratch and I needed to digitize it for repair", but otherwise everything is still the alt-process the poor guy gets crucified for going off the reservation.

    As a community, we discuss not only the technology and technique, but things related or sometime barely related to the technology and technique. This is one reason why the OM List is so blasted unique, because we'll as freely discuss our camera haulers as we do our cameras. Unfortunately, other online communities are rarely as free-form as the OM List.

    I'm leary of mentioning the presence of my laptop in the darkroom. Talk about a bridge too far. Sometimes we are a bit "Amish" around here, but if that's the rules, I guess that's the rules.
    http://www.zone-10.com

    When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

  6. #26
    nsurit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,378
    Images
    21
    Hmm, I have no interest in an "either/or" war about analog vs digital and doubt that anyone who has an interest in alternative photographic processes whould be so inclined. Think about it.

    It surprises me that a "troll" who took the side of digital in an analog vs digital war would find themselves in an alternative photographic processes discussion. Think about it.

    Most, if not all, current literature about alternative processes talks about digital negatives. An example, for any who have an interest, would be Christopher James', "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes." Considered by many to be the definitive text on the subject, it is worth a read by any serious student of the subject. Other means of producing negatives is also discussed, however I would not avoid reading it if I were an analog purist as there is much to be learned from the images and the techniques.

    My observation about the amount of traffic on Hybridphoto site is just that, an observation, not to be confused with a complaint. My request to have an intelligent conversation about the merits of including hybrid photos in an alternative discussion group on APUG, was just that, a request. A request that was based on reason and logic. One that I thought would bring something to the table that was of value. Some have seen it as an opportunity to see the possibilities of such a change. Others have not.

    Biill Barber

  7. #27
    jd callow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Milan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,005
    Images
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Unfortunately, in the sister site, there is disagreement of what is proper "hybrid". Some say digital camera, analog output, others say analog source, digital output. Frankly, it's all so childish, no matter how you slice it. At least we're not like that other all-digital site out there.
    This is patently incorrect.

    Hybrid has far more signal to noise than any list I know of (including APUG) and there is no debate on the site about what is hybrid (although we did discussed it early on), nor has there ever been any need for moderation.

    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Any change will come from dialog with Sean and discussion on this site, rather from "yelling" at offenders for past or current misdeeds. Assuming what you say is accurate, and I have no reason to doubt it, all APUGers are being adversely affect by the actions of a few. I would like to see the "Gray Area" be re-opened. In my opinion the hybrid.com site has not been a particularly successful experiment. Bill Barber
    There will be no change in the site. There is always crossover from digital to traditional and the line has been drawn at the most easily identifiable area. If digi negs were allowed, then scanning would need to be included as well as the best output device and then there would need to be work flow and on and on.

    APUG is a tradition photo site. Full stop. Nothing more or less. Its uniqueness and success is due to its narrow scope.
    Last edited by jd callow; 07-03-2009 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

    *

  8. #28
    Ian Leake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,378
    Images
    48
    APUG is an analogue community before it's an alt process community. Personally I regret the hybrid separation but I also see the merits of simple, clear rules which everyone can understand. Ultimately, separation of hybrid is the settled will of the community and as such I accept it. There are more important things to worry about in life.

  9. #29
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,690
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    It surprises me that a "troll" who took the side of digital in an analog vs digital war would find themselves in an alternative photographic processes discussion. Think about it.

    Biill Barber
    Easy if the thread is listed as a New Post, you don't always notice what sub forum it's listed as being in.

    What might be useful would be a small number articles (in that section on APUG) by a respected Member/Subscriber on Basic scanning for the Web, and for submitting to magazines etc, Making Digital negatives for Alternative processes, Copying prints (of all types) for the web etc (sometimes a camera copy is better than a scan). The articles would be closed to further posts, but have a link to the relevant section of the Hybrid Forum (for further discussion).

    I think the Hybrid Forum uses a different database so closer integration isn't possible, but better cross linking would be helpful.

    Ian

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Holland and Brazil
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    Bill, I recon that between the two of us, if we wanted to wake up HybridPhoto we probably could. But the question is "do we want to?"

    These forums are "communities". It is so frustrating that in the alt-process world that you can freely discuss 90% of everything involved, but should one person say "hey, I have this one negative with a scratch and I needed to digitize it for repair", but otherwise everything is still the alt-process the poor guy gets crucified for going off the reservation.

    As a community, we discuss not only the technology and technique, but things related or sometime barely related to the technology and technique. This is one reason why the OM List is so blasted unique, because we'll as freely discuss our camera haulers as we do our cameras. Unfortunately, other online communities are rarely as free-form as the OM List.

    I'm leary of mentioning the presence of my laptop in the darkroom. Talk about a bridge too far. Sometimes we are a bit "Amish" around here, but if that's the rules, I guess that's the rules.
    I think you are right: we should use the technique that is best suited for the job at hand.
    On the other hand, in case of the scatched neg one could mention the possibility of doing a negative retouch, a technique that is more elaborate to do, but allso gives one the oportunity to stay within the "old" techniques.

    "Use PhotoShop" for that is the magical thing now a day's into the absurd, I have heard that too often lately.

    Oddly I have never heard of a digital negative that can be put into an enlarger to make a carbon print from a digital image.......
    Shure, it would be hybrid, but still it could be a part of the old process renewed.

    Peter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin