Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,117   Posts: 1,613,206   Online: 841

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why hybrid?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I would assert that many, if not most. folks doing alternative processes, processes that that date back to the beginning of photography, use negatives that have been created by scanning a negative and enlarging it. There are some who use large format cameras and contact print from a negative, however these are certainly in the minority. \
    Bill Barber
    What evidence are you basing this statement on? The majority of photographers I know who print using alternative processes work from in-camera negatives. In the college where I teach our photography students use 4x5 cameras to make original negatives for our handmade photography course and discussion on negative making for handmade processes here and on the large format forum suggest that many, many photographers are using large format cameras to make negatives specifically so they can explore platinum, cyanotype, kalitype and albumen printing processes etc. I am no doubt a bit biased, but if I want to make a 12x20 palladium print I am going to use a camera and film as part of the process to accomplish it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with you, every student in photography should learn how to work with a TC, it is the most versitile camera there is.
    I have learned more about camera-technique with the TC than any other camera I have.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gary, My statement is simply a reflection of my limited experience. It may not reflect the real world, although I suspect that there are many more folks enlarging smaller negatives than those using a 12 X 20 camera. Most of my recent alt. process work has been 6 1/2' square prints made from enlarged 2 1/4 square negatives. I have done some from 4X5 negatives however that is not the format in which I normally work. Regardless of the film format from which my negative originated I've enjoyed working in alternative processes. I've worked from original negatives and also from enlarged ones. I big advantage I see from working with an enlarged negative, other than the obvious of its giving a larger image, is I don't have to worry about the possible damage to my original. I've discovered several ways to damage them. As you know, most alt process work does not have to be done in a darkroom. Non-analog enlargement of ones negatives opens this type of old process photography to those who don't have the luxury of a darkroom and/or a large/ultra large format camera. Kind of makes it available to everyone with an interest in learning a new old way of doing things. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only complaint I have about the APUG vs. hybridphoto dichotomy is that it should be easier to refer users back and forth between threads on the respective sites.

Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bill. There's no doubting that digital negatives offer people new ways to work; much the same as digital cameras offer people new ways to work. But APUG is analogue not digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amen, brother. They always seem to have trouble finding the woodshed. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, "Uncle." There I said it. I recognise a "no possibility" conversation when I see one. I do wonder why negative scans are allowed by those who wish to keep the water pure. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I do wonder why negative scans are allowed by those who wish to keep the water pure. Bill Barber
    Bill,
    do a search. This subject has been gone over many times. The gist is that in many instances it is easier to get a digital image that looks more like the print when scanning the neg than it is when scanning the print it self. This is true for myself. We do ask that when people who scan negs post images that look either like the print or like the print they intend to make. Everyone knows it is not perfect. It does leave the site open for some criticism, but far less than we received when we had the grey area and far less than we would receive if we tried to enforce a print only image posting.

I do appreciate that you didn't or haven't called APUG out for haveing a gallery made up of scans (digital images) as most do when arguing for a grey area or against the site's orthodoxy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You raise another issue here Mister Callow. I can but I rarely do scan negs (up to 5x4) and actually it's remarkably easy to emulate how they'll print, on my usual FB papers digitally.

Against my base instincts I may have to go down that route as I have no darkroom access for around 10 moths of each year, and it would let me pre-visualise and edit before I go into extremely limited darkroom time.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So do I need to remove the laptop computer from the darkroom?
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin