Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,982   Online: 1173

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why hybrid?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... snort, snort ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I do wonder why negative scans are allowed by those who wish to keep the water pure. Bill Barber
    Bill,
    do a search. This subject has been gone over many times. The gist is that in many instances it is easier to get a digital image that looks more like the print when scanning the neg than it is when scanning the print it self. This is true for myself. We do ask that when people who scan negs post images that look either like the print or like the print they intend to make. Everyone knows it is not perfect. It does leave the site open for some criticism, but far less than we received when we had the grey area and far less than we would receive if we tried to enforce a print only image posting.

I do appreciate that you didn't or haven't called APUG out for haveing a gallery made up of scans (digital images) as most do when arguing for a grey area or against the site's orthodoxy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You raise another issue here Mister Callow. I can but I rarely do scan negs (up to 5x4) and actually it's remarkably easy to emulate how they'll print, on my usual FB papers digitally.

Against my base instincts I may have to go down that route as I have no darkroom access for around 10 moths of each year, and it would let me pre-visualise and edit before I go into extremely limited darkroom time.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So do I need to remove the laptop computer from the darkroom?
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ken, why should you ?
    As long as it doesn't fog your paper......

As for the scanning of neg's is concerned: a friend of mine came back from Poland with some horrible flat B&W 35mm neg's.
    She wanted to waste them, I scanned some and raised the contrast, results: the neg's were saved and printed and looked a lot better than previously thought.
    So even the hybrid part can help you in the darkroom to get better prints.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    As for the scanning of neg's is concerned: a friend of mine came back from Poland with some horrible flat B&W 35mm neg's.
    She wanted to waste them, I scanned some and raised the contrast, results: the neg's were saved and printed and looked a lot better than previously thought.
    So even the hybrid part can help you in the darkroom to get better prints.

Peter
    So what.

IMHO your friend had the right idea, trash the junk, learn the lessons, and back off to Poland to try again.

AFAIAC the biggest curse of Digital is getting sucked into wasting time saving something that should be trashed.

If we (the users of APUG) were to start using digital as a crutch any time analog methods get tough or inconvenient we'd end up as a digital forum.

Our photographic aspirations and APUG's focus doesn't need to be practical, easy, or fit everybody's life. That is not what makes APUG special.

APUG is special because it's focus is Analog.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are a couple of images that were selected for the Plastic Fantastic exhibition with the Texas Photographic Society. Both are traditional silver gelatin prints enlarged in the darkroom. Both have also been printed using hybrid alt processing techniques. Actually the first two are mine. All 52 that were selected are on this site. Bill Barber

http://www.lostcanuck.com/studio/exhibitions/fant/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    Here are a couple of images that were selected for the Plastic Fantastic exhibition with the Texas Photographic Society.
    And your point is what?

That good work can be done in a hybrid workflow.

That somebody here fudged the rules.

People can do good work in a full digital workflow too.

It doesn't mean I want to discuss color management or get back into the digital rat race.

People can do good work in a full analog workflow too.

None of this is exactly breaking news.

So, my question for you is why is it so important pollute this site with hybrid ideas when there are so many other sites that deal with digital?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, have a pleasant night. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,
    Bill's point seems to be that if he can't get his way than at least he will needle people. Amazingly similar to what other members have done in the past under the same and similar circumstances.

Which reminds me there is a hybrid group here on apug: http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/hy...oto-group.html Try it out.
    Last edited by jd callow; 07-03-2009 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin