Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,049   Online: 1283

Shooter
    Multi Format

High end ink jet papers for Alt proc

Could some of the High end Ink jet papers (baryta type etc) be used for alternative processes like salt print, argyrotype and cyanotype?
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't had much luck with printer papers. I found some cute stuff that had a "pearl" finish, literally flecks of tiny opalescent stuff in the finish and even though it said for inkjet (which I assumed means it takes up ink well), it would not coat well at all with (traditional formula) cyanotype. Came out very weak, light blues. It also seems like the paper is kind of "slippery" and isn't that willing to take up liquids like the traditional watercolour paper.
    It gets a little costly buying these high end ink jet papers then finding out they're useless to you so that's why I stopped.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The papers have various chemicals in them to absorb, hold on to and "dry" the inks and these chemicals do strange things to almost everything I have tried coating.

The best bet is pure baryta paper. It is available uncoated in sheets and rolls from the Formulray. Even here some things are difficult to coat, as the baryta helps mask some of the density unless you use a good size. Pt/Pd have given me trouble but Silver Halide works well as does Cyanotype coated from gelatin.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Heather and PE.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about the reverse side of some of these papers?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have tried EPSON Premium Presentation Paper Matte Paper with argyrotype and it worked great.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most of the Hahnemuhle papers are papers they have long made for other purposes (drawing, lithography, fine printing, etc.) subbed for inkjet, so if you like those papers and if they have sufficient wet strength to hold up to wet processing, you can get them without the inkjet coating. I don't know, however, if that's true for the baryta paper.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of the higher end inkjet papers are actually more expensive than the traditional watercolor papers (especially if you buy full sheets in bulk) and those that aren't are usually much lower in quality. Kind of a wash in my opinion.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hahnemuhle Inkjet for Cyanotype

I bought one of Hahnemuhle's inkjet sample packs and tried each of the included varieties with cyanotype; their Fine Art Pearl ended up being one of my favorites, even over many traditional watercolor papers. I found that many of the other H-muhle varieties cleared with great difficulty.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin