Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 899

Shooter
    35mm RF

Silkscreen application of Platinum emulsions?

Has anyone here tried applying platinum emulsion by using a silkscreen?

If so what were the results, pros and cons?

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Con: ridiculous waste of emulsion adding up to $$$$$$$.

When coating an 11"x14" screen with emulsion in silkscreening I use ~4 oz. When coating paper for an 11"x14" pt/pd print I use ~1.5mL.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. The only thing I can think that would be similar is the photo-resist emulsion on the screen. If you're talking about applying the pt/pd emulsion through a screen that has already been prepared for printing then you'd waste even more emulsion.

Silkscreening is done the way it is because the constituents for the process are so cheap.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The only thing I can think that would be similar is the photo-resist emulsion on the screen.
    It's basically a potassium bichromate/dichromate emulsion.

We have gallons of it here at work but I have never tried it for photographic use. I must try it out one day.

I have also thought about coating emulsion with a screen. I think one of our fine stainless steel meshes without a stencil would produce quite a thin coat.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm asking as I'm curious as to which would waste less emulsion, a paint brush applicator or a fine screen process? As a painter, I see how much material a good brush will pick-up, lay-down and what washes out in the clean-up.

A screen used to coat a number of sheets at one time would seem to be a better choice but real world experience is often different than theory.

While I'm asking questions, does anyone here think an inkjet could be modified to lay-down emulsion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use a fine spray gun or airbrush. There might be a toxicity problem with aerial droplets.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bad news - the pt/pd sensitizer doesn't have the viscosity of silkscreen inks, so unlikely to work. However, the good news is that many people use a "puddle pusher" to spread sensitizer onto paper. It's made of a glass tube with "handle" and is similar to a silkscreen squeegee in terms of operation. No screen necessary, the sensitizer is spread directly on the paper with the puddle pusher.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbkorn View Post
    The bad news - the pt/pd sensitizer doesn't have the viscosity of silkscreen inks, so unlikely to work.
    Is it too thin to remain in a flooded screen?

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin