Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,261   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Citric Acid Supplier

My current citric acid supplier's price for 50lbs has increased from $85 to $ 125 in less than a year. Does anyone have any recommendations for chemical suppliers for the mid-Atlantic region?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wow! How long does 50 pounds of citric acid last? I have a 1 pound jar in the fridge...that'll probably last the rest of my life.

Try Art Craft Chemicals in New York State. Mike is utterly honest, completely reliable, and will give you great advice.

How come so much Citric Acid...just curious as to what you are making....that's alot of stop bath!!!

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Or a lot of artifical lemonade. Or mozzarella cheese.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check with a brew shop or some place that has all the supplies for canning food. It is pretty common and prices will vary all over the place.

On the other hand if you are using it as a stop bath, just use water and then into the fix. Haven't used a stop bath for film in a couple of years now, no issues from it - your mileage may vary.
    Mike C

Rambles

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i bought some a year or so on ebay from a shop that sells supplies for soap making, very cheap. i am sorry i don't remember the name, but it shouldn't be hard to find something similar.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm using the citric acid to make sodium citrate developer. 50 lbs can get used up faster than you think.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I've been getting it from Chemistry Store, but the price has gone up there too. Still, it's quite a bit cheaper than the small quantities from the photochem places. But sodium citrate itself is still only ~$100 for 50lbs.

I'm curious, is this for kallitypes? I only use about 10-20g/l of citric acid in a 20% solution of sodium citrate, mainly as a ph tweak.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yes, it is for kallitypes. I think I will just buy the sodium citrate rather than mix my own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnindc View Post
    I'm using the citric acid to make sodium citrate developer. 50 lbs can get used up faster than you think.
    do you use the citric in a sodium citrate solution (as a preservative, most likely...) or do you use the citric to produce sodium citrate?
    if it's the latter, would you explain, how this works? i am very interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin